Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Where will I go through customs traveling to Germany with a stop at Heathrow?

Where will I go through customs traveling to Germany with a stop at Heathrow?

Sep 6th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Art

Where will I go through customs traveling to Germany with a stop at Heathrow?

With both countries being part of the EU will I have to go through customs at both places or just one and if so which one?
Thanks,
Art

Sep 6th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Leslie

If you're not stopping over in London (leaving the airport), then you will only go through Customs in Germany. Being that you're in the US and flying through Heathrow, you'll be shuttled to another terminal for departure onto Germany. However, if you are actually spending any hours in London then you will have to go through Customs. The reverse will also be true.

Lastly, make it easy on yourself, if you have to check your luggage then check it through to your final destination.

Best,

Leslie

Sep 6th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Art

Thanks Leslie. Based on my last years trip, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.
Art

Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:24 PM
Eva

We flew through London to Munich BEFORE Sept. 11 and ckecked our luggage through to Munich, but things were different AFTER.
On our delayed return, having to wait for avail. flight home for 5 extra days, since our scheduled return on Sept. 12 was cancelled - we were not allowed to check luggage through, and we had to take out our luggage at Heathrow and go through customs.Then check it again for the trip to USA and go through customs again. Your airline should know about present regulations.

Search this Thread