Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where too if Turkey is a no go area in April 04?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-too-if-turkey-is-a-no-go-area-in-april-04-a-381220/)

Marko Dec 9th, 2003 02:00 AM

Where too if Turkey is a no go area in April 04??

She who must be obeyed has laid down the law, If there is one more act of significant terrorism in Turkey before April next year the trip is off. So here is the question where is the alternative... we have seen a lot of France, Italy, Greece ( along time ago), and Spain and Portugal last year. I am a notable mediteraneanophile but I can't think of any obviously safe parts that we can go to...so its over to the Fodorites, we have three and a half weeks from early April give me some suggestions. :)

CharlieB Dec 9th, 2003 02:50 AM

Marko - so sorry to hear that you might have to postpone your trip to Turkey. You had certainly done a lot of research and had devised a wonderful itinerary. Given your preferences, I would probably opt for the Croatian Coast as a backup plan. Let us hope that things quiet down in Turkey!

Marko Dec 9th, 2003 01:58 PM

Thanks charlie, hopefully everything will quieten down and the trip will be as planned, I am interested in finding out more about the Croatian coast...never even thought of it !

laverendrye Dec 9th, 2003 02:03 PM

Why not Cyprus?

Kristi Dec 9th, 2003 02:09 PM

I saw an interesting article on traveling by ferry in Croatia in a London newspaper earlier this year. I think this was the article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...700550,00.html

You can also easily travel by bus or some rent a car. You can also cross over into Montenegro which is a beautiful country. I believe there are day trips from Dubrovnik with Atlas, we took a taxi to the border and walked across but we had people meeting us.

But I hope your Turkey plans work out, it is a marvelous country to visit.

marktynernyc Dec 9th, 2003 02:39 PM

I second (or third?) Croatia - I've been twice and am going back again Sept 04. If you enjoy the mediterranian vibe - the Croatian coastline and islands is perfect. Great infrastructure regarding transportation - plenty of accomodation options - beautful scenery - fresh seafood (a little bit expensive).

Judi Dec 9th, 2003 03:26 PM

I'm in line behind Mark in recommending Croatia. I can hardly wait to return!

Marko Dec 9th, 2003 05:36 PM

any safety issues ?

Patricia Dec 9th, 2003 06:03 PM

Another vote for Croatia. We drove the coast from Slovenia down to Dubrovnik in 2001, stunning. This year took the overnight ferry from Ancona to Split which leaves at 9p.m. and arrives at 7 a.m., its a breeeze. Absolutely no safety issues to worry about, the roads are good, scenery magnificent, food and accommodation plentiful and cheap, people very friendly. Have a great trip wherever you choose.

Patrick Dec 9th, 2003 06:45 PM

While I'll agree about Croatia, another possibility is Malta (but not for the three and a half weeks). It's also nice combined with Sicily including Lipari and maybe even Sardinia. Also, although you've done Italy, have you done the very southern parts - Puglia in particular?

Marko Dec 9th, 2003 07:49 PM

Where are the easiest major city access points for Malta ? and is Roma the best access point for Sicily.

Marko Dec 10th, 2003 02:19 PM

Can you go directly from Sicily to Malta.......sorry I might post this as a seperate question.

sweet24 Dec 11th, 2003 09:54 PM

So sorry that you may not be able to go to Turkey. In response to your last questions- I'm pretty sure you can go directly from Sicily to Malta. I would say that Naples is a better access point to Sicily than from Rome.

As an alternative, I have to give Croatia yet another vote, though! It is so beautful there!

On another note, someone once recommended that if I ever visit Turkey, I should also visit Cyprus. But it's right off the coast of Turkey so I don't know how safe it would be...

Marko Dec 12th, 2003 02:19 AM

Cyprus...thats another thought, but I have also heard it's a popular destination for the UK's lager louts ?

Marko Dec 14th, 2003 07:32 PM

Does anyone have an opinion whether the events in Iraq will have any bearing on the relative safety of Turkey ?

brotherleelove2003 Dec 14th, 2003 08:36 PM

What about Morocco? It's a country with thousands of years of heritage and is a very inexpensive travel destination.

Marko Dec 15th, 2003 01:23 AM

From my research Morocco is suffering quite a degree of internal turmoil. Not particularly safe.