Where to watch world cup?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are traveling to Italy in June and want to watch the matches somewhere fun with the locals, but need somewhere safe for 2 women alone (she is 17). We'll be in Rome for the US/Italy match and Venice for the Italy/Czec match. We both play football so we're real excited about experiencing the world cup in Europe with true fans. I don't want to sit in the hotel lobby. Any one have suggestions?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Did you double up on this post? I just answerd elsewhere, suggesting - yes - the hotel lobby or your hotel room, rather than asking for trouble ...

WK
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did double up. Got an error when I posted the first one, but guess it worked after all. I'll check out the first one.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM

we were in italy 12 years ago for world cup finals with italy as a contender. needless to say, the entire country stopped for the game. they set up huge screens of TV's in public places. we ended up watching the finals in a cafe at Piazza Navona and it was very memorable, especially when italy lost and Brazilians (whose team had one) took their life in their hands to come out to celebrate. Unless things have changed in a decade, it was really fun to watch in a public place -- even if a bit rowdy.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM

"Brazilians (whose team had won) took their life in their hands to come out to celebrate"

Can you elaborate on "taking their life in their hands"? Was there a single anti-Brazilian threat? Did so much as one Italian show even a hint of hostility to these Brazilians?

Or was the threat entirely in your head?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:26 AM

You won't have ANY trouble finding a place that's showing the game; you'll probably have more trouble finding one that isn't. Judge for yourself whether or not it looks safe, but I'm not exactly sure what sort of danger you're worried about (except rioting football hooligans; not sure if that's an Italian problem, though, like it is in other countries).
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Football hooliganism is NOT an italian problem, at least certainly not away from the football stadiums. It will be a party atmosphere, just go out, find a bar with a big screen and enjoy it. I certainly don't understand comments like this:

"just answerd elsewhere, suggesting - yes - the hotel lobby or your hotel room, rather than asking for trouble WK"

Irish bars tend to have big screens set up for matches. I know it sounds a bit strange to go all the way to Italy to spend the night in an Irish pub, but they're very popular with the locals, and have a much better atmosphere for watching football than an Italian bar (which tend to be smaller, stand-up affairs).

Prepare for crowds, prepare for shouting, but don't expect trouble.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Didn't want this to be a thread about hooligans - I''m not worried about that. Maybe my question should have been - Anyone know any cool cafes that have a TV setup? No doubt the game will be on if its there. I just wasn't sure a bar was a good idea with my 17yr old daughter. Though the pub sounds like a good idea - hmmm go to an Irish pub in Italy to watch the US play in Germany, I like it.

And I saw that final - wasn't that when Baggio put his penalty kick over the bar? I'll bet you could have heard a pin drop as everyone was in shock (we all were).