Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to warm up in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-warm-up-in-europe-920349/)

Nutella Jan 19th, 2012 04:28 AM

Where to warm up in Europe?

Currently freezing in southern Italy. I have about a week and I'd like to find someplace relatively warmer. Thinking maybe somewhere in Spain or Portugal, since I've never been to either. Any recommendations? Thanks!

mamcalice Jan 19th, 2012 04:40 AM

If it is freezing in southern Italy, it is more than likely to be pretty cold in all of southern Europe. Check the weather for Seville, the Canaries and Sicily. Or wait a couple of months.

kerouac Jan 19th, 2012 05:10 AM

I saw on the news that it was snowing in the Algerian part of the Sahara desert. Meanwhile in Paris we hare having a balmy 12° -- much warmer than the south.

Anna_Galea Jan 19th, 2012 06:22 AM

Hi Would you consider Malta? It is very close to southern Italy, and very often the island is sunny and warm even in Winter. There are many historical places to visit, and very good nightlife in St. Julians. People are friendly and hotels and food reasonable.

annhig Jan 19th, 2012 06:25 AM

yes, it's a balmy 11C here in sunny cornwall.

the daffs are just coming out, the camellias are blooming, and if you can find a place out of the wind, you can kid yourself that it's July.

great weather for walking too.

nytraveler Jan 19th, 2012 09:25 AM

The Canary Islnds MAY be warmer.

Or you could try the Carib or Hawaii.

All of europe is in the temperate zone and in winter you get some version of winter weather.

hetismij2 Jan 19th, 2012 10:19 AM

18-20C the coming fortnight in La Palma, similar in Lanzarote, a bit cooler in Tenerife and Gran Canaria. A lot depends on the altitude though - La Palma is very steep, and the temperature drops quickly the higher you go. It is also generally warmer on teh west side of the island.
It is 12-15C in Malta, South Portugal is about 17C, southern Spain is not a lot warmer than northern Europe at the moment. Morocco is a bit warmer.

All these places are popular with snowbirds though so accommodation may be scarce.

flanneruk Jan 19th, 2012 10:35 AM

Eilat and Sharm El Sheikh are nearer southern Italy than the West Indies, though dunno about flights. I've certainly (and happily) swum and lazed on the beach between dives in Sharm El Sheikh in Jan: half the population of NW London seems to pop off to Eilat round now.

qwovadis Jan 19th, 2012 11:42 AM

Sharm el Shiekh the Marriott awesomeweather now not far
priceline.com greatdeals on the Marriott good cheap flights
skyscanner.net also check ryanair.com BVA to Maroc cheap
flights also. Lagos pensaomarazul.com if you must stay in Europe.

Nutella Jan 30th, 2012 05:30 AM

Portugal it is! And what a fantastic choice, if I do say so myself :)

RM67 Jan 30th, 2012 05:58 AM

I hope you have a lovely time visiting Portugal, but please be prepared for the weather to be no warmer than Italy - especially southern Italy. North Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) would be a better bet weatherwise at this time of year, if you haven't taken the plunge yet....

Nutella Jan 30th, 2012 06:53 AM

I've arrived in Porto, with blue skies and sunshine, and it feels much, much warmer than how it was when I left Puglia, which was quite frigid.

hetismij2 Jan 30th, 2012 07:01 AM

Enjoy your time there Nutella - it is decidedly frigid here now, -2C all day,(and due to get colder as the week goes on) so Porto so sounds very attractive right now.

Anna_Galea Feb 2nd, 2012 12:31 AM

Italy had an unusual cold spell these last two weeks, it was snowing in places where it usually never snows. The news even showed people snowboarding in the centre of Siena!!

Enjoy your sunny days in Porto. I am lucky, it is a lovely clear sunny day here in Malta with a 14 degreec celcius temperature!!

Nutella Feb 2nd, 2012 07:48 AM

Anna, yes I left just in time to avoid the snow. Enjoy your warm weather too! And Hetismij, come to Portugal and warm up :)

davispeets Feb 5th, 2012 04:12 PM

Hi Nutella -

I just saw your wonderful Porto pictures - you might consider the Azore Islands for future warm up trips- I believe it was 64 degrees earlier in the month. I went to four islands this July and Sao Miguel Island would be a great place for a photographer - the blues and greens made for lovely pictures.