What to do with one day in Stockholm/one in Helsinki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Scandinavia in July, and I have only one day in Stockholm and one day in Helsinki, and I would like some suggestions. I like seeing the major sights only if they are truly worth it. Otherwise, I like to go off the beaten path, go where the locals go, find the hidden gems. Any ideas?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:22 PM

I took a day ferry to Helsinki from Tallinn last year. We bussed all around town and spent some time at all the major attractions. My two favorites were the market place in the center of the city and the Temppeliaukio Church also known as the Rock Church. This church is built inside of a granite quarry and it was one of the most interesting places I have ever seen.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Take a half day tour in each city. Then you can pop briefly back to the places that seemed most interesting.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I fyou go to the destination section of this website, you will find several walking tours of Helsinki and Stickholm.

In Helsinki, we liked: the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, the City of Helsinki Museum, the Rock Church, Senate Square, the Lutheran Cathedral, the Market by the water.

In Stockhom, we liked: a walking tour of Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace, the Vasa Museum.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Can't comment on Helsinki, but here's my recommendation for Stockholm. You can take a hop-on, hop-off boat tour. It's a recorded tour, with a segment between each stop, so you get a little info about the city. It gives you a great chance to see Stockholm from the water and is only about one hour roundtrip if you ride it end to end. Plus it makes stops at Gamla Stan (old town), the Royal Palace and the Vasa Musuem. So it's a very efficient and enjoyable way to see some of the major sights. Spend any extra time enjoying lunch or a drink at an outdoor cafe and people-watch. We just did this exact day about two weeks and really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Completely agree with above comment.

You might want to consider getting a Stockholm Card <http://www.stockholmtown.com/templat..._9989.aspx> for your one-day visit.

The Vasa Musuem should be your top priority in Stockholm. Do not miss it!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 02:57 AM

Two of my favourites in Helsinki:

http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/ne...ntNWSAID=25996

AND

http://www.hel2.fi/tourism/en/Ohjelm...&word=Mtop