Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to unwind within 2 hours of Rome - must be reachable by public transport and be wonderful

Where to unwind within 2 hours of Rome - must be reachable by public transport and be wonderful

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do we go after a weekend in Rome? We are a mother daughter and are looking for a place to unwind, stroll the streets, see Italians ( not just tourists), enjoy the food, stay at a hotel with character. Pool and scenery preferred, but the right in town location would be considered. Must be within 2 hours of Rome via public transport.
All ideas welcome.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Orvieto- there is a hotel outside the walls that has a pool. Town on top of a hill get up there by funicular and the train station is right across from it. A great little hill town with a famous doumo of course. Best gelatto is to the left looking at the church. Also cave tours remember to ask for english guide and great pottery.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM

From Rome we took a day trip by bus to Bracciano (sp?) which was recommended in one of my guide books - sorry, I've lent them all so I don't know which one. The guy in the tourist office was obviously born and bred locally and his pride in the place was quite touching. The town wasn't touristy (we had to try out our Italian in the cafe because no-one spoke English) and there's an old building, a castle I think, in an impossibly spectacular setting. The nearby lake (Lago Di Bracciano) is about two or three miles from the town. The lakeside was quite built up with small bars and restaurants and the lake is popular for boating. I don't think they allow powered boats so it's not too noisy. The only down of the day was when we got adopted by a stray dog on the walk back to town, DW was in tears when we had to do some counter surveillance to get away from him and hope he found hs way home.
The contrast to Rome couldn't have been more striking.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Orvieto, hands down. Forgo the pool and stay at the top. If you type "orvieto" into the search engine at the top of the page, lots on info from the archives will appear on the left-hand side of your screen.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM

lots of info, not lots on info. Where's that edit-after-posting function?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Any others?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM

You can always visit Assisi, is only a couples of hours by train.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM

I think the Amalfi coast is about 3 hours from Rome, if you're a bit flexible.

We spent a wonderful, relaxing weekend in Montalcino, if you want to see my trip report...

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...een_name=dina4

Also, I bookmarked this article from the NY times last Sunday about a beach resort area near Rome:
Fregene

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/07/0...d=2&8td&emc=td

I've never been, but sounds good if you want to look into it.

have fun planning!
dina
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM

Orvieto is great, and I would agree with that as a location. Another great getaway from Rome is the charming town of Viterbo, just about an hour and a half from rome, i'd guess? anyway, it has a gorgeous medieval center with an amazing tiny square in the heart of the medieval area. it's a very cute city, and easy to get to from rome. It's small and refreshing after Rome, but it still has quite a bit to offer: it once was the residence of the popes, for instance. we liked this town a lot.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Any hotel ideas for these cities?
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

Is Viterbo a place to go for a day trip or overnight?
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM

luvtotravel: we went for a day trip. It's pretty easy to see it all in a day, and it's not very touristy as a city, so I didn't feel the need to stay the night and see what it was like after the tourists went home.

It might be quite nice at night, though.