Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Where to travel in Europe? Switzerland? Amsterdam? Ireland?

Where to travel in Europe? Switzerland? Amsterdam? Ireland?

Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Where to travel in Europe? Switzerland? Amsterdam? Ireland?

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip in late August or early September. We don't know where to go. We want to see 2 countries in 9 days. Should we go to Ireland and Scotland?
Should we go to Switzerland and Amsterdam? Are they close to travel to each other? What two countries would you recommend? Thanks!
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:13 AM

You need to provide more info. What are you looking for? Art? History? Good food? counryside? cute towns? Hiking? Lute players? Square dancing? Otherwise any answer will be fairly random.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:22 AM

While the western European countries are smaller than the U.S. (assuming you're from there), some of them are pretty sizeable. Why do you want to visit two (any two?) countries? You could easily spend 9 days in a single country.

You really need to start with a map of Europe. That way you can see for yourself that, for example, Scotland and Ireland are on two different islands, and that Amsterdam is actually not a country, but a city.

Another factor you may want to consider is that if you plan on learning a little of the language for your country of choice (if it's not English), if you visit two countries that speak different languages, you'll need to pick up travel phrases in two languages. Some people (like me) have trouble switching between languages.

This is all in addition to nytraveler's good questions...
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM

If you have only 9 days, I would suggest Ireland and Scotland. You can see beautiful countryside, castles as well as see many intersting sights. Please checkout RyanAir website at www.ryanair.com. They have inexpensive flights between Dublin and Glascow.
Mar 4th, 2004, 06:14 AM

My suggestion would be Germany with maybe a side trip into France (Strasbourg). You could fly into Frankfurt and visit the Rhine/Mosel River area for several days, then over to Strasbourg for 2 days. Then drive down to Bodensee (Lake Constance) for 2 or 3 days with a night or two in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Rothenburg is only a 1-1/2 to 2 hr drive from Frankfurt.
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Or, the ever popular London for half of your time, the adventure of the "chunnel" to Paris for the balance. Two great cultures, 1 set of tickets.

I really want to chunnel some day...
Mar 4th, 2004, 09:27 AM

You do realize amsterdam is a city in the Netherlands, right?

Search this Thread