COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Where to Stay with Family

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:57 AM
John

Where to Stay with Family

Our family will be taking a side trip from Randers Denmark to Paris Disney Resortin mid June. We will be driving and are looking for a comfortable place to stay a night in Germany on each end of the trip. My best guess is that we will be targeting some where near Dusseldorf as the stop on the way there and some where near Hamburg as the stop on the way back to Randers. Those stopping points should give us part of an afternnon and evening in each location. Any thoughts?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:18 AM
Rex

The ages of your kids, and your budget might influence whether these places are a match for you or not.

Near the Dutch-German border (not exactly near Dusseldorf - - but could work on your route) - - is the fantastic Parkhotel Wasserburg-Anholt. A real castle hotel with a real moat. Perfect for almost any composition family, albeit not "budget", I suppose.

www.burg-hotel-anholt.com

And I have little or no reservation recommending a place IN Hamburg - - though it might seem fairly "adult" if you have little kids (i.e., no pool, more of a great place for a couple - - but still fine for kids). In a terrific old house; the owner is an eloquent life long resident of the city, and has fantastic books and photos on the rebuilding of Hamburg after the war, brick by brick. Like a 100 million bricks or something! Amazing.

The name is Hotel Hanseatic - - in a residential neighborhood north of the downtown city per se. No website, as far as I know.

Sierichstr. 150
22299 Hamburg
Tel.: +4940-48 57 72
Fax: +4940-48 57 73

I found it years ago in "Europe's Wonderful Little Hotels and Inns" - - a book rarely mentioned here (I am often surprised by that). And I relocated its details this morning on this website:

http://www.abaka.com/Germany/Hamburg.html

and they have a map there (incredibly TOO detailed!) - - enter the address ("Sierichstrasse", then "150"). After you get it, click on 6x6 and then "Aktualisieren".

There are numerous other hotel listings on this same webpage.

Gute fahrt...

und wie immer...

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:34 AM
topper

to the top

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM
For John

Any more suggestions?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Rex

Topping for Terence, who recently asked me about this place.

see also

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moreaccom.cfm?h_id=24587&destID=101&directory=hamb urg&p_id=24587

I also just now wrote a review for http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187331-d253808-Reviews-Hanseatic_Hotel-Hamburg.html

Does it take a while to show up there? Does someone review them to make sure that user reviews seem "fair"?