Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay two nights near Mont Blanc in May?

Mar 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
MaureenB

We want to do the gondola ride this May, to the top of Mont Blanc, and will spend two nights someplace nearby. We'll be traveling by train. I've read some people think Aosta isn't the most interesting destination, so I'm wondering if we should look into lodging at Courmayeur? There are some lovely hotels there. Anyone familiar with that area? Could we get around easily, from the train station to Courmayeur, then to the gondola? Will there be restaurants and shops open there in May? Any other suggestions for a two-night stay nearby? Will weather be very cold in mid-May? Thanks!

Mar 20th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Maureen - Courmayeur is definitely the place to stay

There are frequent buses up to the cablecar from town ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Mar 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
MaureenB

Steve, the problem is, two hotels I contacted in Courmayeur are closed in May. I wonder if it's so slow that many places close there in May?

Mar 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

You can't get to the top of the Mont Blanc unless you climb, with a guide, it's serious. The in-between season of May could be the reason why you can't find what you want. Read up on it all at this site, and call a hotel or two on the phone - they're open now and they're used to tourists who only speak English, so go slow, choose easy words and be patient, you'll get the info you need.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...e/chamonix.htm

WK
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM

We arrived in Courmayeur in a Sept. as I recall. Most hotels were closed... but we found a delightful little place (I forget how!! )Then we had a wonderful lunch on an outdoor terrace with Monte Bianco (we WERE in Italy) looming overhead. As I recall, it was advised that anyone taking the gondola should be sure to take their passport... since the gondola ride ended in France and often weather precluded a return to Italy. It's a beautiful area... you should have a lovely time.
Sep 20th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Steve,
We are going to stay in the Aosta area for a few days. We are interested in Roman ruins and the beautiful scenery and the gondola ride. I was thinking of staying in Aosta because of the Roman stuff, but Courmayeur offers the best choices in hotels????? If so, that's where we'll stay. You feel that Courmayeur would be better than Aosta itself? Any hotel recommendations? We'll be in the area early July.
Thanks much,
Dolf
Sep 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

Chamonix, France is nearby and it is a beautiful town with a direct shot of Mont Blanc. Not sure how close it use to the gondola ride you're wanting to take. But I enjoyed a stop there for a night (this was 9 years ago) on the way from Switzerland to Nice, France.

Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:49 AM

Hi Dolf - I think it really depends what you want to do.

Courmayeur wins hands down on setting - with easy access to Mont Blanc for the cable-car ride and the scenic valleys nearby.

Aosta is more central if you want a convenient base for touring.

Hope this helps ...

Steve