Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay the night before we leave Ireland

Jan 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I've read where many like to stay in Bunratty the night before leaving Ireland out of Shannon. I'm not against the idea but wondering what others have done.
Are Ennis & Adare other good options? Our flight leaves Shannon at 11:30AM.
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Adare is a bit far, for my taste You'll want to be at SNN no later than 9:30 and it would be best to plan to arrive by 9 to allow for cash back, customs and etc.
Ennis is not a bad choice. We usually stay in and around Bunratty so we can have a farewell dinner at Kathleen's.

Bob
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Ennis worked very well for us.
Jan 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM

I agree with Bob. Adare is a bit far for an 1130 flight. Ennis or Bunratty is your best choice. Don't be afraid of Bunratty. The park is not horrible, there is decent shopping and three pubs with decent food. The drive to Shannon is very easy. Have fun
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM

There are a couple of good restaurants in the Bunratty area in addition to the pubs. Bunratty Castle banquet and Irish night too. Ennis has more music pubs but it probably depends on the day of the week and time of year.
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Our favorite place to stay near Shannon is a country house 5 minutes away called Carrygerry House:
http://www.carrygerryhouse.com/

We've stayed in the main house twice and loved the rooms - beautiful and comfortable. The dinner there is the best. You wait in the drawing room with a drink by the fire considering the menu. You order, and when your first course or meal is ready you're seated at your table. It's absolutely our favorite restaurant in Ireland and hard to top anywhere.

Breakfast is amazing as well! And since you're right by the airport it couldn't be more relaxing.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM

I also enjoyed staying at Carrygerry House, but you must have one of the rooms in the main house. I think there's 3 on the 2nd floor and 3 on the 3rd. I stayed in the main house and 1 night in the out-building. I would return only if I had a room in the main house. I loved the young couple and their little son, the food was wonderful and the green fields, horses, and sheep made you feel as if you're in rural Ireland.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM

Joan I remember you and someone else wrote that you stayed in one of the outbuildings and thought they were't up to par. I haven't stayed in one of those rooms. Only the main building which I thought was splendid. But the best thing is the dinner. We still fondly recall our meals there!
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Rose, when our plane was taxing down the runway to take off, I could see that big yellow house and the tears started. I'll always remember the little two year old telling me all planes go to America. I hope they are doing well and you'd better believe, I'll stay there again if I get another trip. Yes and the dinners were very good. One of the nights was Sat. and the place was packed with locals.

Rose, I moved from the East Coast in March and I'm posting so late because I'm here on Bainbridge Island. Are you here on the West Coast also? I use to be able to leave my home and be in Shannon within 12 hrs. Small plane to Atlanta, big plane to Shannon and that was it. I won't give up hope of going back some day.

Kind Regards, Joan
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Hi Joan - Yes, in Bellingham. It's been quite the winter! I do love it here but it takes so, so long to get to Europe! We flew back from Rome on New Year's eve and it was 23 hours of travel without long layovers.

I thought I would think Ireland was ho-hum since I live in such a green, mild place. But it's stunning! I hope to return soon but I fear my family wants a more adventurous trip next.
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM

itsallaboutthetrips, thanks for letting Rose and I chat. As for your question, I'd stay in Bunratty or Newmarket-On-Fergus. I like staying in Ennis but you might run into some traffic in the morning.

Rose, it was good chatting with you. The weather hasn't bothered me that much. It's really a lovely place to live.
Joan
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
wsz

A few of you mentioned the CarryGerry house as a great place to stay on your last night. It sounded like a great place, and I sent them an email inquiry for availability; however, I never received a reply- which makes me a little leery to book. Have any of you travlers who stayed there had a similar experiences. Also, on their booking site, it said that they require a 4.70 euros deposit which would be about $6 or $7 dollars. Does that sound right?
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:19 PM

wsz, I was booking my trip about this time of year or a little earlier and found it was best to phone and speak to somebody. I don't remember anything about a booking fee. Now, you have to realize this is a very old house and might have a creaky board or two. I guess I'm trying to say it's not The Ritz. It reminded my somewhat of Hunter's Hotel in Wicklow which is another older place. I happened to love these old places as long as I have comfort.
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM

Hi WSZ - I'd either send another email or go ahead and phone them. I didn't pay a depost but then the first time we just dropped by hoping for the best and so the second time I was a cherished return visitor. If you phone you can ask why they want that small deposit. It seems more hassle than it's worth.