Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay outside London for 2 nights, fly into LHR, depart Gatwick

Oct 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into LHR from Australia on a Wednesday and then leaving from Gatwick early Saturday morning to fly to Italy.
I am considering booking into the Sofitel at Gatwick for the Friday night but am unsure of where to base ourselves for Wednesday and Thursday nights.
We have the 3 night stopover basically to get over jetlag and we don't want to go into central London as we are staying there for 3 weeks later in the trip.
There will be the 2 of us (husband) and I'm interested in staying in a village that is 'charming'...open to interpretation, I know.
We will have a car, any suggestions?
Oct 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM

What sorts of things do you enjoy? You have part of Wed probably jetlagged, all day Thurs, and most of Fri so you really have a lot of choices. Even though you are used to driving on the left, I wouldn't plan on driving far on Wed.

So maybe stay in Windsor the first night and then Thurs and Fri nights in a village in East Sussex or Kent w/i easy reach of LGW w/o staying right AT Gatwick.

There are a TON of castles, stately homes, gardens and 'stuff' to explore. Hever Castle, Chartwell, Sissinghurst, Knole -- and about a hundred other places
Oct 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply. We travel to London/Europe every year so I should have been more specific.
Our 3 day stop over is not for sightseeing,it's purely a chance to recover. We usually stay in central London.
This trip, I would like suggestions on a village situated between Heathrow and Gatwick, where we can walk around, eat lunch, not do much driving... basically chill.Guilford?
Oct 10th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Somewhat confused as to why you are hiring a car if you are suffering jetlag - at best it's a waste of money, at worst it's dangerous.

As to where to go may I suggest Brighton which is easy reached by coach from LHR and is 30 minutes by train from LGW
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM

You might want to consider Horley or Crawley which are adjacent to LGW. Both locations can be reached by taking a coach from LHR to LGW followed by a very short train ride or you shouldn’t have much of a problem finding lodging that will pick you up at LGW for free. You didn’t indicate the ETD for your flight to Italy but either location is close enough to LGW to make staying at the airport unnecessary. Have used Horley 3 times and Crawley once to “chill” before moving on to the continent. Also, if/when “chill” turns to boredom you can easily take a train to Brighton [30 mins] and/or Portsmouth Harbour [1½ hrs] for lunch and a change of scenery.
Oct 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM

The easiest solution is probably Woodstock, Oxfordhire.

There are hourly buses and trains between Oxford + Gatwick (c. 2 hrs): buses every 20-30 mins between Oxford + Heathrow. 15 mins cab from Oxford bus/railway stations to Woodstock: if you;re feeling stingy, 30-min bus ride every 30 mins from both bus + railway.

Not by the remotest stretch can Horley or Crawley be called charming. Nowhere between LHR + LGW is either. Nor does anywhere on the route between the two have easy connections to either airport.

Brighton works well, though. Not charming, but interesting
Oct 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM

In this situation we stayed 2 nights in Brighton. It's only about half an hour by train from Brighton to Gatwick. We took a bus from Heathrow to Brighton.

Lots going on in Brighton, many ethnic restaurants. (You can't sleep all the time.)

We had the same situation on our return trip. That time we stayed in Windsor for 2 nights. I like being relatively close to my departure airport as opposed to the arrival airport.
Oct 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM

This trip, I would like suggestions on a village situated between Heathrow and Gatwick, where we can walk around, eat lunch, not do much driving... basically chill.Guilford?>>

mmm - no way can Guidlford be described as a village and it's not charming.

i agree that the first night, I'd head for somewhere like windsor, then for nights 2 & 3, a "quick" whizz round the M25 will bring you to Westerham [charming village on the edge of the Kentish Weald close to all the lovely places mentioned by janisj] or Sevenoaks, which is rather bigger and therefore better for your walking round. Both are about 30 mins drive from Gatwick.

A bit further on is Tunbridge Wells - a still bigger town in lovely countryside, with walks available within and around the town AND easy access to Gatwick.

that might fit your bill best.

avoid Horley and Crawley at all cost. You'd be better off staying at Gatwick itself.