Istanbul

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul

We will be staying in Istanbul for 4 nights over the summer...
Can you recommend "must not miss" attractions.
Also nearby beach recommendations?
Thank you!!
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...nesOfIstanbul#

Link:
You will have no problem filling four days. You'll be moving from early a.m. to late as you wish. My recs are in these scanned pics of the memorable, exotic city and its environs....I'll ask the foodies to fill you in and up with chow recs...have an exciting visit.

If you'll also be visiting other fascinating parts of the country, I'll send you a set of scanned pics of Cappadocia, Lake District, Antalya, Turquoise Coast, Pamukkale, Aphrodisias, Ephesus, Kusadasi, Priene, etc. and Bodrum and vicinity, if you wish..just say the word.

stu (all pics have been offcially approved by resident guru, Other Celebi (OC). What more can one ask?
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM

If you'll be in Istanbul for only 4 nights, I would suggest skipping going to the beach altogether - there is so much to see and do here!

But if you're set on swimming, here is a list of best beaches + pools in & around Istanbul: http://www.theguideistanbul.com/arti...pools-239.html

Also, this website has great top 7, must do, must see, must taste lists that I suggest you check out before deciding how to fill your few days in Istanbul. Here is a link to their must see list: http://www.theguideistanbul.com/arti...ul101/must-see

Hope you have a great time in Istanbul!
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:37 AM

I think the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and Topkapi Palace are probably some of the typical "must-sees". It's been a few years now, but I think I preferred the Spice Market to the Grand Bazaar. My favourite thing of all was the Chora church - a bit off the beaten track (or out of the centre at any rate, not necessarily the same thing I suppose, but I was there in winter and it was pretty quiet). It's filled with wonderful Byzantine mosaics and was a real highlight for me.
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM

there is a little Agia Sofia which is downhill toward the Marmara Sea, also 1500 yrs old (approx) "Kuchuk" Agia Sofia.