Where to stay on the Riviera di levante?

Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay on the Riviera di levante?

We will be traveling here early next May and I am having a hard time deciding which town and hotel to stay in. We need a place with parking and ease of access. We would like a room with a sea view and a hotel close to restaurants. We would also like to be close to ferry and train connections for trips to CT. I was going to stay in Lerici but I'm worried about getting to the train stations for local trips.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any preference for either Levanto or Santa Margherita Ligure? We have narrowed it down to these two.

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM

If you want to see the CT then Levanto is your best bet. SML is much further.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM

What is your hotel budget? Will you be using the car at all while you are there or just parking it until you move on? Do you want to make more than one trip to the CT? Do you want to explore other parts of this coast? I think that a good answer will depend on the responses to these questions. You can certainly day trip by train to the CT from Camogli or SML.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 04:21 AM

For exploring the CT, Levanto is an excellent base and actually slightly less expensive than the 5 villages. You will find plenty of restaurants, cafes, decent accommodations, easy train access and timetables, etc.

Personally (and completely biased since I live there!), Lerici is even more charming, but you would need to take a bus to/from the train station in Sarzana or La Spezia to get to the CT.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 05:06 AM

Ferry schedules for the region:

http://www.traghettiportofino.it/
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still having a hard time deciding because I want it all. Easy access to CT, a sea view room with access to parking and trying to keep it about 150-170E. I have found a place in SML without a view which would be okay but we will be there midweek in May and it looks like the ferries only run on weekends to CT. The Hotel Florida in Lerici looks very nice but if the ferries don't run because of the weather then getting to the train might be a hassle. I haven't found just the right place in Levanto yet but I'm still looking. We may only want one day for CT and then another day to visit Pisa, so Lerici or Levanto make sense but for some reason I'm drawn to SML.

meganinitalia, since you live in Lerice, can you tell me how far the walks would be to good restaurants. Also, how far to Tellaro, which I also hear is very beautiful.

Again, thank you all for your replies, any and all opinions are very welcome.