Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Rhine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 07:41 AM
greg

We are looking at St.Goar,Bacharach,Assmanshausen, or Rudesheim. Rick Steves highly recommends Bacharach but hotels there seems to be affected by the train noise at night so I want to research further to see if the town is worth staying despite this problem. Rudesheim looks like a very crowded place or is this only a problem during the day? Please <BR>share your experiences.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 08:07 AM
John

Greg, I do not have any specific reccomendations except this one comment. Many hotels in Europe are in busy, loud, areas but they generally filter out the outside noise with heavy, double windows to an acceptable level. The windows really are very efficient as sound barriers. You could also request a room at the rear of the hotel as well. Do your homework and tell the hotels you are interested in that you are very sensitive to outside noise which isn't that atypical for many and tell them you need a quiet room. My experience is that the hotels are very accomodating and have no desire to either lie to you or make you uncomfortable.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 09:13 AM
Kristin

We stayed in BAcharach last summer in one of the B&Bs recommended by Rick Steves. We heard the trains, but it was not a serious problem. We were not in the hotel that the train goes right past. We were a block back of that. I liked the town. <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Bob

Nice hotel for the Rhine is the Krone in Assmannhausen. It is a beautiful building across the street from the Rhine. You can walk underneath the street to catch a boat for a cruise up the river. If you don not stay there, at least visit the place. Many famous people have stayed there through the years. if you have a car, it really does not matter where you stay as entire area easy to explore by car and boat. Also look at tthe Moselle River. We enjoy this as much as Rhine. neat place to stay is the Alte Thornschneke (sp) in Cochem. Again, the trip from the Rhine area to the Moselle is an easy drive.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Glenn

Greg, We stayed at the castle above St. Goar on our first trip. I agree that Bacharach is a nice town, it can be a bit touristy. It has a few pure tourist shops, but still has its charm. Check out the web site at gogermany.miningco.com for info. I know that the host has an article or too on the Rhine area. They also have a travel chat on Wednesday nights which could be helpful. Glenn

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:44 PM
charlie

We stayed in St.Goarshausen at a small Guest House named Hermannsmulle. Spellings may not all be correct. Found it in Fodor's Guide Book. Was quiet, 1/4 mile from the main road, very nice and not expensive. We were there end of april, weather was great and place was all ours!! Rented a car at the train station several miles to the north and toured all over, take the ferry to the other side of the river too.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 05:12 AM
the turnip

Have you considered staying on the Mosel instead? We loved Zell. It was <BR>quiet, cute and full of charming B&B's...

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 06:05 AM
Lee

Greg: My wife and I also stayed at "hotel above St. Goar" called Villa Rheinfels. It's a nice place built alongside a ruin, but at $190.00 per night, I didn't see it as a great value. The noise at night was significant. <BR> <BR>Bacharach is getting "touristy", but it has it's charm. As does the Mosel River towns. <BR> <BR>We are going next month and we also looked at the Hotel Krone, although lovely, it is pricey. We instead settled on the Hotel Cafe'-Post in Assmanshausen just across the river from Castle Rheinstein. It is managed by Josef Hoetger who has been very helpful to me in determining the selection with countless (probably 10 or so)emails about the hotel, menu and the area. The prices are much better and it is situated right on the river. Assmanshausen is just west of Rudesheim and not as busy with tourists. <BR> <BR>The hotel can be reached at "SMTP:[email protected]" <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Michael

Rick, <BR>We stayed at the Kranenturm (not sure on the spelling) in Bacharach per Rick Steves' advice. It was great. Even though it is right on the train tracks, I don't remember it being a problem. I think the windows were double glazed. We had the room on the top floor in the front overlooking the Rhine. It was an experience to be shaving and turn and see a freighter making its way up the river. This place has the hot water heater which you have to set yourself about 5 minutes before you need the water. This was a good hotel and the town was centrally located for St. Goar and the ride on the river. I also agree with Bob, the Mosel river is quite nice also. We spent 2 nights in Bacharach and 2 nights in Zell (we took a day trip up the river to Trier). Lots of great castles in both areas. Have a great trip. <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 03:48 PM
Al

If you wish to avoid the noise of ultra-turisty Rudesheim, you can stay just across the Rhine at Bingen. It is only a five-minute ferry boat ride away. <BR>On the Mosel, you might like Bernkastel-Kues. Bernkastel is the "tourist" town; Kues is quiet and tidy. A bridge connects the two towns. We stayed in a B&B in Kues and had a wonderful visit.