where to stay on Como

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:37 PM
beth

where to stay on Como

We'll be spending the last 2 nights of our trip to Italy in March in the Como area. We have a car rental - will be driving from Portofino....our departure flight back to the U.S. leaves at 10:05am from Malpensa. We are 2 female friends on our zillionth trip together. Any advice on best town to stay, with things to do (we're not on a honeymoon), and ease to get back to Malpensa by 8am. I was told that Como is closer to Malpensa than staying in Milano. Bellagio looks the best to me but worried about that early morning drive to the airport - any traffic on a Wednesday that early, etc.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:43 AM
Howard

I can't help you with the traffic questions, but I can recommend the Belvedere Hotel in Bellagio, which would be a good base for you in the Lake Como area.
email: [email protected]
Ask for a room on an upper floor (best view of the lake).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Beth, My best advice is to stay at Stresa on Lake Maggiore instead of Como if you have an AM flight. Much easier access and Maggiore has as much to offer as does Como. Go to www.stresa.net

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Kay

My husband and I stayed in Varenna on Lake Como in the summer of 2000. The hotel was "Hotel du Lac"...on the lake. Ferries took you to the other towns. It was wonderful and we have not finished our tour there...we want to go back. Used Rick Steves suggestions! Have a wonderful time.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Wayne

Beth--
Lake Como is "a lake too far" unless you indeed want to take a chance on that early morning drive on the day of departure. Another poster suggested staying on Lake Maggiore,and so do I. I would stay in Arona, a nice town on the western shore of the south part of the lake, and one which (by my own experience) is only about 30 minutes drive to Malpensa. There are several good hotels in Arona.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Jean

Agree on issue of Maggiore vs. Como, but if you decide to go to Bellagio I recommend the Hotel Florence.