Where to stay on Amalfi Coast?

Apr 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay on Amalfi Coast?

My wife and I will be in Italy in early May. We're planning on two nights along the Amalfi Coast. Where is the best place to stay? Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Sorrento, or other? We're looking for an interesting place to stay that is also a good base for visiting other towns along the coast (via bus). We're arriving from Capri and will be leaving by train to Rome. Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Let me provide additional information. Sorrento was recommended to us because it provides a good base and there's plenty to do and see if we choose to stay in town. I was warned that we might be bored if we stay in one of the smaller towns (e.g. Amalfi, Ravello, Positano) because there's less entertainment, shops, etc. I'd like a few more opinions. From the pictures, Positano and Amalfi look more beautiful than Sorrento. Thanks again.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Certainly, Sorrento is an excellent base. Very easy to visit the towns you mention and Pompeii is only a short train ride away. Hotel Michelangelo is a small family run hotel in a very handy location. We have stayed there twice and will use it again if we return to Sorrento.
More info on our site at

http://www.leightravelclub.com/theamalficoast.htm
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM

Hi Theo - You will get differing views on this - but for my money nowhere compares with Positano.

Have a look:

www.pbase.com/mightyone/amalfi_coast_

http://www.villa-la-madonnina.com/Ph...lle/index.html

http://www.villa-la-madonnina.com/Ph...pri/index.html

Steve
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi T,

If you are coming from Capri and leaving for Rome and not interested in Pompeii, I suggest Positano.

YOu might want to consider taking the SITA bus to Salerno for your train to Rome rather than SITA bus to Circumvesuviana train to Naples.

Apr 5th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Sorrento IS a good base, and because of that it is tourist central for many large- mostly British it seems- tour groups in the summer months. Positano is quite crowded, too, as are many of the Amalfi Coast towns, but for me, it wins hands down for beauty, charm, and food.

I can't imagine that you'll be bored with so many easy day trips to take ( Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, to name a few) and the wonderful food.
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Theo-I think you've gotten good advice. Positano is not the easiest to get around, but from Sorrento, you can jump on a ferry and spend the day, have a meal, do some shopping, and then come back to Sorrento in the evening, to see ITS fabulous cliff-side views, great little cliff-side restaurants, discos, what-have-you-there is lots more to do in Sorrento. I spent 5 days there this past September and really enjoyed its convenience. You can take a ferry to Positano, Amalfi and Capri, (the Sorrento marina actually has a very decent restaurant as well, btw) or take the train to Pompeii, Herculaneum, or Naples. I really loved getting on the ferry boats for the trip down the Amalfi Coast and back. The cost is around 7-8 Euro one way. Incredible views.
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. As I read through the wealth of information on this site, it seems everyone has their personal favorites. It also seems we can't go wrong with whichever town we choose. I'm leaning towards Sorrento because of its convenience and the thought of taking the boat down the coast to the other towns. That sounds much nicer than the bus.
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Last summer our family of 4 spent 4 nights of a 3-week trip in Sorrento staying at Hotel Settimo Cielo on Via Capo. We enjoyed our stay here and our room had a lovely balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples which was great! As a previous poster stated, Sorrento is filled with tourists from Great Britain and there are English pubs around the town. There is lots of activity here in the evening. We were here when Italy won the World Cup and it was so much fun!

We did have a car but parked it at the hotel and used public transportation. We took the bus one day from Sorrento to Positano and the took the boat back. Positano is very beautiful and we enjoyed our day here. We have no problems with steps, but I have heard it is the most vertical village in Italy! There were lots of steps from the bus stop down to the harbor. If coming from Sorrento, get off at the 2nd bus stop--we got off at the first one and I then read we should have waited till the 2nd stop as it will put you closer to the harbor.

We took the train to Pompeii one day which is very easy and convenient.

Another day we took the hydrofoil to Capri. This was very slick and easy. We did the touristy thing and visited the Blue Grotto--kind of cheesy but did it anyways!

Sorrento does make a good base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. It does have quite a charming old town area too. Are you planning on Pompeii? Buon Viaggo!
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM

We are driving from 3 nights in Taormina to 4 nights in Ravello at Hot Parsifal in mid May.
We thought Ravello a good base as we shall have a VW 1.6 TDI for day tours..
M
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I can't recommend Sorrento enough! We've been there twice (once for 2 weeks) and it's an excellent base for the area. The SITA bus to Amalfi and surrounding area is convenient (and cheap) and there is always the jet ferry to Naples and train to Pompeii. We stayed at the Hotel Minerva (on the recommendation of Rick Steves) and thought it was great. We could see Mt. Vesuvius without even getting out of bed! It's a short walk to the main piazza or harbor. Be sure to get up to Ravello (from Amalfi) as the views are fabulous! Also, you can take the Amalfi stairs back down to Amalfi and you'll see things you would ordinarily miss by taking the bus. Just ask someone in the piazza in Ravello where to start and they'll point you in the right direction. Wish we could go, too. It's our favorite part of Italy!
Buon Viaggio!
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Sorry, the SITA bus, which I took once, one way, was too horrible for words. Never again. We were held up on the road above Positano because of truck deliveries, the air conditioning in the bus did not work, you have to remember, these are public buses, so, somewhere before Positano, we picked up a whole gang of Italian schoolchildren, packed in the aisles, screaming, that and the 20 minute delay on the roads? I got off, found that lovely ferry boat to Sorrento, and never looked back.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Great info! We are planning to hit Pompeii on our way to Rome. Does anyone know if the Pompeii train station or entrance to the ruins has a place for us to store and lock our luggage?
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Steve_James: Thanks for posting your lovely photos. You obviously know what you're doing with a camera.
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Theo-If I'm correct on this, the entrance to the Pompeii Scavi, which is just across and down the street a little bit from Pompeii Scavi train station, does have luggage storage there. I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe I did see it there.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM

bookmark
Apr 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Hi Trophywife - The photos are lovely, aren't they?

I can't claim the credit, though (- I wish I could )

The beautiful slideshow -
www.pbase.com/mightyone/amalfi_coast_
- belongs to Sea Urchin - one of our regular posters here.

The others are from a villa rental website which I discovered by chance.

Steve
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I can't imagine anyone being bored in Positano !! It's a great place.