Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Vienna...2 days only.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Jim Tardio

I'll be in Vienna for 2 nights in September...I know, I need more time...but that's all I have.<BR><BR>Would it be best to stay in the "Old Town", for that brief time? Can I get a good feel for the city in this area? Or is my time better spent in another area.<BR><BR>Any hotel suggestions and "must see" sights are greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:50 AM
rob

Hi Jim - <BR><BR>I liked the Christina, on Hafnersteig. Not luxurious, but a good level of comfort, nice sized room, and an excellent location right around the corner from Schwedenplatz (metro and tram), about a 10 minute walk through a very charming area of the Innere Stadt to the cathedral.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:56 AM
mauld

I just came back from 2 days in Vienna, and can't wait to return. I was on a free stay at the Bristol, which is just across from the Opera on Kartnerstrasse at the Operaring. There seemed to be lots of hotels in this area, and tons of stuff to do. You may also try the new musuem quarter for some more modern type hotels.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Julie

As with most cities, staying in the Old Town is best. Several on this site are adamant about Konig von Ungaren. We've stayed at Romischer Kaiser, near there, and liked it. Both just off Kartnerstrasse near Graben and St. Stephen's. We've also stayed at the less expensive Pension Pertschky (sp?) also nice, central. Others recommend Pension Nossek. <BR><BR>Walk around the Ring--the street the circles the old town. It has the Parliment, the Opera, the Rathaus, the Hofburg, all right there. It also has several coffee houses =/cafes for which Vienna is so famous. Walk the Kartnerstrasse to the Graben and St. Stephen's. Visit the Karlskirche, and the Belvedere Palace (my vote for the most graceful in Europe) and the Schoennbrunn if time permits. The Naschmarkt, the large city market, is also fun. If you're into Art Nouveau, check out the Secession Building near it. Another thread on this site currently has good suggestions for dining in Vienna. Enjoy. It was our first European city and still one of our favorites.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:25 AM
lizbeth

Jim,<BR>As a recent first-time visitor to Vienna, I was glad to have stayed within the Ring and at the very heart of the Altstadt. My hotel was a block and a half from the Stephansplatz U-bahn station, which made for easy connections to other lines. It is true that hotels inside the Ring do tend to be a bit more expensive. However, the location helped me in orienting myself to the layout of Vienna and I always knew where "home" was just by heading towards the spire of St. Stephans Cathedral, visible from almost anywhere in the city. Also a plus was the prescence of night time foot traffic along the major streets - it felt very safe. An earlier post refers to the Belvedere Palace - I agree that this is a "must-see", for the buildings and the collection of Klimt paintings. The Upper Belvedere is on a slope and from its windows you can see the Ring. Have a marvelous time!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Jim Tardio

Thanks, all, for the recommendations. I'll check them all out.<BR><BR>Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:13 PM
MG

I also suggest the Royal, which is literally next door to St. Stephen's Cathedral. We stayed there last summer, and enjoyed it thoroughly. <BR><BR>I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, and want to return!