Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in Venice & Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-venice-and-florence-54907/)

Bob Oct 14th, 1999 07:06 AM

Where to stay in Venice & Florence

My wife and I are going to northern Italy for 8 days next Sept for the first time. Would appreciate suggestion on lodging and places to go. We like to stay in the best places. Thanks! Bob

Brian in Atlanta Oct 14th, 1999 07:27 AM

Check out the Hotel Lungarno at http://www.slh.com/pages/f/floluna.html. <BR> <BR>4-star, very nice with great views right on the river. Just be sure to be sure to specify "Hotel Lungarno" when you make your reservations to avoid being mistakenly put in one of it's (very nice, but not as nice) sister hotels.

Clara Randone Oct 14th, 1999 08:39 AM

Dear Bob, <BR>we can recommend a lovely and spacious apartment in Venice 10 minutes' walk from Rialto bridge. <BR>For pictures via e-mail and infos kindly contact us. <BR>Holiday Homes in Venice <BR>e-mail [email protected] <BR>

Carol Oct 14th, 1999 09:18 AM

I think one of the best places to stay in Venice is the Gritti Palace right on the Grand Canal. Another in Venice is the Hotel Cipriani. A major difference between them is that the Gritti right in the midst of all the action, while the Cipriani is across the lagoon with a private launch to transport you to San Marco and the sights whenever you wish. <BR> <BR>In Florence, The Grand Hotel is the best hotel, and deserving of its reputation. It's on the Arno in walking distance of all the sights, but on its own little piazza and quiet.

Bob Oct 14th, 1999 10:12 AM

You did not mention budget. The Gritti and Cipriani will be mega bucks. We just stayed at the Al Gambero in Venice. Great location, rooms all clean and recently remodeled, but small. Around $125 per night for double with breakfast included. Check it out if that is around your proce point. If you really want to go big, do the Danielli in Venice. Magnificant building, but also expensive.

Mike Miller Oct 14th, 1999 04:02 PM

Bob, we stayed at the Locanda Sturion last week in a room for 4 which was canal front and also offered a view of the Rialto Bridge. Cost 550,000 lire (about $308 a nite). In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Romagna which is an easy walk even with baggage from the train station. Email me for the web sites.

Sara Oct 14th, 1999 04:26 PM

My husband and I just returned from northern Italy. We stayed in Florence at the Helvetia and Bristol, which is an excellent hotel and the most centrally located of the top Florence hotels (at least, according to the guide books). The staff was particularly outstanding, and the rooms very nice. In Venice, we stayed at the Danieli which is justly famous for its grandeur. The only downside to it is that it is so near to St. Mark's square, and across from a vaparetto station, that I found it to be a bit busy and somewhat noisy. (We could hear the vaparettos honking at one another). The Gritti palace is a little more out of the fray, but also close to everything. <BR> <BR>If you go to Florence and want to visit the Uffizi museum, definitely make a reservation. It will save you from wasting a great deal of time waiting on line. I no longer have the information regarding whom to call, but I found it on the internet. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

zoey Oct 14th, 1999 06:25 PM

We have stayed at the Danielli twice and it is terrific. We were in an older room once which was very large ande nice. The second time we were in the newer section which was even better - we had a terrace on which we had room service one night for a great dinner. The best part is the rooftop restaurant to have breakfast, dinner or just a cocktail in the afteroon. One of the great views in the world -- even if you stay somewhere else - have an afternoon cocktail on the rooftop.

Bobby Ghosh Oct 14th, 1999 07:21 PM

Hi, <BR>We loved the Loggiato Dei Servitti in Florence (and Fodors recommends it highly, too). Expect to pay $150 per night. In Venice, you let a lot less bang for your buck -- it's a frightfully expensive place. But the Hotel Ateno was pretty good for $120 per night. <BR>Bobby

lynn Oct 15th, 1999 05:31 PM

I highly recommend the Hotel Porta Rosa in Florence. Charming big beautiful rooms filled with antiques within walking distance of the Uffizi. Ask for room 61 which was quite large and had a separate dressing room.

lynn Oct 15th, 1999 05:32 PM

I highly recommend the Hotel Porta Rosa in Florence. Charming big beautiful rooms filled with antiques within walking distance of the Uffizi. Ask for room 61 which was quite large and had a separate dressing room.

lynn Oct 15th, 1999 05:32 PM

Mary Ann Oct 16th, 1999 06:58 AM

We just got back from Europe and in Venice we stayed at the Hotel galleria for 165,000 Lire or about $90 a night. It is located next to the Accademia bridge in the Accademia section with easy walking to San Marco, etc. The rooms have a WC and shower but are very narrow. Along with another couple, we had 2 rooms right on the Grand Canal. It was fascinating to watch all the traffic. Breakfast was in the room and the staff was very helpful. When you say you like to stay at the best places everyones definition of best may be different (ambiance, room service, size, location, staff, price or all of the above)

Stephen Oct 18th, 1999 03:44 AM

Hi, just got back from Italy including Venice. Stayed in the Riva. L170,000 with breakfast. Great location about 2 blocks from S. Marco. At the junction of 3 canals and serenade music. Very romantic! One star, very basic but clean, good bathroom, fairly large room, bring your own soap. For me it is location, location, location, and this has it. Would stay there again.

karie Oct 18th, 1999 04:18 PM

Check out the Accademia in Venice...Dorsoduro area. Charming. We loved out stay there. You might ask for one of the larger rooms over looking the rear garden. Very nice.

Michelle Oct 22nd, 1999 06:54 AM

Hi, <BR>Just came back from Venice and stayed at the Metropole. Four stars, 2 minute walk to St. Mark's square. We had a regular room, but it seemed on the big side for Europe. To be safe, ask for room #139 - very large with very large bathroom. We paid 620,000 lire per night. If you're looking at 5 stars, try the Danielli - also excellent location - next to St. Mark's very pricey.

Jennifer Oct 25th, 1999 07:46 PM

In Venice, the Albergo San Zulian was a great find. The room was recently renovated, tastefully decorated and spacious (considering it's Europe), and the whole place immaculate. It was less than 5 min. from P. San Marco and the price was about $170 including a nice breakfast, which was brought to you in bed!

Mary Oct 26th, 1999 06:39 AM

Hi Bob: <BR> <BR>My husband and I just returned from 15 nights in Italy - a dream of a lifetime. We stayed at Hotel Bisanzio in Venice; 3 stars, small, but very congenial and helpful staff. It ran about $275 a night. The biggest advantage is that the vaparetto stop is between San Zaccarias (sp) and San Marco. These are both terminal stops for the vapparetti, so everyone empties out when they arrive there, giving you ample opportunity to get a front seat for a fantastic ride on the Grand Canal. If money is no object, try the Danielli (as seen in the Marisa Tomei movie "Only You".) <BR> <BR>In Florence, we stayed at the Hotel de la Ville on Tournabouni and Piazza Antonori. Four stars and a great central location.

sheri Oct 26th, 1999 08:28 AM

Karie, do you have contact information for the Accademia? Do they have a website or email? Did you make your reservation by phone or fax? I am planning a visit to Venice in January and have heard good things about the Accedemia. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Sheri

cheryl Oct 26th, 1999 07:13 PM

Hi Sheryl, me too I am planning to go to Venice but in February. I am not too sure if I will because I am hearing a lot of negative comments re weather (cold, damp, etc.). Are are decided on your plan?