Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-tuscany-603293/)

dhefez Mar 28th, 2006 05:39 PM

Where to stay in Tuscany

Will be going for the fist time to Italy. I will be landing in Milan and will have 11 days to spend in the region. Would like to stay maximun in 3 or 4 different B&B, and visit by car or train different areas. I need suggestions as where to stay in tuscany, and what other areas are a must to visit.
How soon should one book for hotels. I am leaving in September.

kybourbon Mar 28th, 2006 06:35 PM

September is high season in Italy. Check
www.venere.com for hotels, b&b's, apartments, etc.

constant Mar 29th, 2006 07:23 AM

If the Chianti Classico zone interests you - the area between Florence and Siena and convenient to both - look at the Greve web site - www.greve-in-chianti.com. The booking period for the year peaks in early April so don't delay too long.

dhefez Mar 29th, 2006 08:32 PM

Thank you for your input. I better start booking for flight and hotels. I am overwhelmed and not sure how to start planning my itinerary. The more I read about Italy the more confused I get.Any suggestions?

Lexma90 Mar 29th, 2006 09:01 PM

Stop, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that you'll visiting Italy!

Re booking flights, try to do open jaws. Flying into Milan and out of Rome, for example, will allow you to avoid backtracking.

Re planning an itinerary, you could do the usual and plan to visit the "Big 3," Rome, Florence and Venice. They are the "usual" because they contain the most treasures (primarily of the art variety) in Italy, and they're interesting cities as well. But if you're intending to go back to Italy in the future, and/or if art or cities are not your main interest, then start thinking differently. For example, you could visit just northern Italy (Florence, Venice, Tuscany, the Lakes region), or more southern parts (southern Tuscany, Rome and Florence as well). I prefer that kind of schedule, just because I wouldn't want to only visit cities, and no countryside, during a trip.

Take notes, if you aren't already, on what catches your interest. And if you haven't yet raided your local library, take out all the books you can (preferably those with pictures). You don't need to read every page; just skim through to get ideas.

And lastly, think about other vacations you've taken, and what you've enjoyed. For example, if you like big cities, and vacation in New York, then you're more likely to enjoy Rome than someone who only ever vacations in the Rocky Mountains.

Another thing I've started doing when planning trips: I print out a page-sized calendar of my vacation days. Then I start pencilling in possible itinerary ideas. It helps me to know how much time/days I really have.

And FYI, B&Bs are less common, I think, in Italy than they are in countries like Germany, Switzerland and Austria. You're more likely to find small inns.

dhefez Mar 29th, 2006 09:10 PM

hello lexma90, I like the idea of the calendar, it will help. As for the trip I am interested more in the tuscany region and further north. I was thinking of landing in Milan and head to Lake Como for a couple of days, and not sure where to go before reaching tuscany area.

weasel Mar 30th, 2006 09:46 AM

Hi I agree with Lexma. With only 11 days you should limit yourself to where you go. If you try to see to much you'll miss out. I would decide between the lake district, CT, Piedmonte, or Tuscany. you could do 2 of these areas. Or center on Venice and Rome. You have mentioned Tuscany, I like the area around Montalcino or Pienza, do day trips to Sienna and Florence.

Lexma90 Mar 30th, 2006 11:37 AM

You could visit the lakes region, then Florence, then the Tuscan countryside, and have a very nice 11 days (by the way, does that include your arrival and departure days?) Or Venice, then Florence, then the Tuscan countryside. I think I'm one of the few people in the world (luckily, my husband is another) who really didn't think that much of the lakes region, so I can't give you advice on that area (we visited it, and liked it ok, but wouldn't return). I would also suggest southern Tuscany, but the areas around Lucca (northern Tuscany) and in Chianti are wonderful as well.