Reload this Page >

Where to stay in the South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:33 AM
pdv28

As part of my trip I would like to train to the South of France, but I have no idea where. Please help <BR> <BR> I am looking for a mediterranean feel, red tile roofed, old towns with a rustic feel. Something with a local flavor and something steeped in a mediterranean tradition. <BR> <BR> What are some of your fav towns in the South of France? Anything that has a running of the bulls tradition --someting like Nimes --only smaller in size. Any villages you would recommend in the pays de gard? <BR> <BR> <BR>Any and all suggestions welcomed! <BR>Thanks again!!! <BR>Patricia <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Thyra

The first time I read your post I thought to myself, well I have only been to Nice but when I dug far...FAR back into my memory I recalled going to a town with my parents when I was 13 (1978 for all who are interested) it was called Aigues Morte.. (sp?) it was a medieval walled city famous for the Tower of Constance which was used to hold Hugenot prisoners during that conflict. Now keep in mind that my info and recollections are 20 years old. But we spent 4 weeks in this town and it was wonderful, I remember it being close to the Carmargue..(sp?) which is famous for wild horses (very impressive to a 13 year old girl) I don't know if this is near your preferred area but I thought I would throw it out there because it certainly was very RUSTIC. Again I apologize if this response is way off the mark but if anyone else knows more information on this town I would love to hear it.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:30 PM
pdv28

Thyra, <BR> <BR> I think that sounds pretty! And I think I remember seeing the Camargue on the map at sometime and it wasn't far from the pays! I will check into the Aigues Morte(sp)?, because it sounds like my element!! <BR> <BR> I wonder if the tower played a role in the St Bart's Day Massacre? It would be an interesting bit of history to find out more about!! <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help! <BR>Patricia <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Thyra

Actually it DID play a role in that. The reason we were in Aigue Morts for so long was because my family was involved in filming a documentary about a prisoner named Marie Durant who was a Hugenot that was arrested as a young bride and kept in the tower of Constance for 30 years, she carved the word "resist" in the stone of the tower and you could still see it in 1978. I hope you have a great trip.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 05:50 PM
pdv28

Thyra, <BR> <BR> When I read your post, shivers ran down my spine! How spooky and interesting!! I was only half guessing when I said that I wondered if it had something to do with the St Bart's Day Massacre. When you said it was during the Huguenot conflicts (I thought it was possible that there may have been more than one) , so then I thought 'nah' it can't be the St Bart's Massacre, b/c I had assumed it took place only in Paris. I guess I will need to check out the movie Queen Margot again! <BR> <BR>How interesting for your family to be a part of making a documentary! I'm sure that was very exciting. I am intrigued on the story now, you must tell more! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:29 PM
julie

Biot, Biot, Biot!!!!!! Amazingly beautiful--glass highly overrated, but not the town itself. Very close to Antibes--we spent an afternoon there and should have spent the night.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 09:34 PM
pdv28

Julie, <BR> <BR> I would love to hear more about Biot! <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 09:39 AM
julie

Patricia- <BR> <BR>While my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Paris and the South of France 2 summers ago, we relied heavily on Fodor's Up Close guide to France. I love the Up Close guides--used it for Italy and Mexico as well. I highly recommend that you buy one--no, I don't work for Fodor's! Everything written in there is very reliable. <BR> <BR>My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Ambassadeur in Juan le Pins--much cheaper than Antibes, but location was pretty much the same--spectacular! This hotel was the only non-boutique hotel that we stayed in during our visit to France. However, the hotel prices in the South of France are quite steep, so we decided to get a deal at the Ambassadeur--our suite was just perfect and had an amazing view of the ocean. This was only one of the only hotels we stayed in that had a pool. After a week and a half of travelling, I was happy to sit by a pool for an afternoon! <BR>Juan is a bit more touristy and beachy, but we didn't spend much time in Juan proper anyway--we used it as a base to explore Antibes, Biot, and Nice. <BR> <BR>Although we didn't make it to nearby St-Paul-de-Vence, we heard that it is just gorgeous as well. Biot is an ancient hilltop village--6000 people, mostly artists--that is none for its pottery and glasswork. We actually to the short train and walked several miles up to the hill from the coast. We were not all that impressed with the famous Verrerie de Biot which is on the way up to the village, but some of the smaller glass shops were worth visiting. We did buy a few beautiful pieces of glass--some of our nicest purchases from France. <BR> <BR>We spent an entire afternoon wandering around this tiny village--the doors and sundials are spectacular to see. May seem funny, but the exteriors of the homes really appealed to me. My husband and I are also gin rummy players (we must sound like we are seriously boring old folks, but we are urban 30 year olds). We landed at this awesome cafe called Cafe Brun which is nestled on St.-Sebastien--get a map from the tourist office on the main drag. We could have stayed there all night playing cards and drinking beer--interesting mellow clientele. The owners are British. <BR> <BR>One note, we had quite a bit of difficulty making it back to Juan that night. After walking back to the coast to the tiny train station, we had to wait a few hours for the thrice delayed train. We couldn't find a taxi, but even if we could, drivers charge an arm and a leg for the trip between towns because of the infrequency of the trains. We obviously hadn't done any homework about Biot and transportation to and from. Just check out train or bus times ahead of time. Or, if you rent a car during your stay in the South of France, you won't have to worry at all! I'll tell you, we were ready to quit our jobs and move to the this area of France forever. We absolutely loved the place. <BR> <BR>Let me know what you decide--I'd be interested in hearing about your journey! <BR> <BR>Julie

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 10:24 AM
elizabeth

I second Julie on Biot. We've stayed there 3 times - it's our "respite from working" place. Our experiences are a few years old (last time we were there was 5 years ago - so if anyone has more current info please chime in!) <BR> <BR>We stay at the Hôtel des Arcades (16 Place des Arcades 06410 Biot Tel : 04 93 65 01 04 Fax : 04 93 65 01 05)- it's a restaurant/hotel/art gallery just off the main street. We request the room at the top (on the third floor - I think it's number 14) which has a large bedroom; smallish sitting area (table/chairs) full bathroom and large terrace with a view - if you stand tall - of the Med. (some of the other rooms are bigger - and quite grand in their furnishing - but we love the terrace). (Last time we were there it was $45 USD!) Then we ask for the daily menus for the next few days. The restaurant usually offers two different dishes each day - lunch and dinner. We schedule our travels to ensure we're at the restaurant for two dishes - the ravioli and the sardines. Heaven. (although it's all good - but those happen to be our favourites! And given this is our respite place - they're our comfort foods!). I see on other web sites that it's a two star hotel now - I don't have any frame of reference for that rating but when we were last there the room was spotlessly clean; the bathroom fixtures were brand new and the welcome was like coming home. <BR> <BR>We spend hours sitting on the restaurant terrace watching the world go by. The gallery in the basement is full of temptation. We've met wonderful people there - visited their homes, sang songs, etc. On that point, the room can be a little noisy until about 11:00pm - but for us it's just part of the experience. (one night we were well tucked in when someone on the restaurant terrace picked up a guitar and started to play. The crowd started to sing - old folk songs as I recall - and down we went. Slept in late the next day!). <BR> <BR>Happy to answer any other questions you might have - feel free to e-mail me directly. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 01:26 PM
John

Hi, Patricia, <BR>I think Aigues Mortes would be a good choice - a lot of history and a great deal of local environmental and cultural interest. If you have a car (really a necsssity in this area, IMO) you can visit such places as the Saintes-Maries, where the Gypsy settlement comes alive in May with the pilgrimage of the Gypsies (Roma) from all over Europe; or you can look for black bulls and white horses in the Camargue, or day trips to Nimes or Arles for Roman sites and bullfights, etc. It's really a great area. <BR> <BR>Not around the Pays du Gard, but if you want a more beach-based holiday in a nice town relatively undamaged by mega-tourism, try Menton on the Italian border - red roofs, lemon trees, blue sea, sigh...

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 08:58 PM
BOB

One more point about BIOT - the Fernand Leger museum is there. It is one of the most beautifully laid out art museums you will find anywhere. It not only has his art, but sketches, writings, and connections with other important artistic figures, writers, etc. who worked in this area. You really get the sense of how important the south of France was and what incredible activity was going on in the earlier part of the century.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Mary

Another vote for Aigues-Mortes. We were there last October and there was a "running of the bulls"-type festival going on. I have since tried contacting their tourism office (unsuccessfully) many times to find out just what this festival. The town itself was fantastic; not too many tourists. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:27 PM
pdv28

Thanks for all the suggestions. I unfortunately won't have a car on this trip..train will be my mode of transport. Does anyone know if Aigues Mortes proper can be reached by train? <BR> <BR>Any other suggestions for small or larger cities of interest that can be reached by train? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:36 PM
pdv28

Mary, <BR> <BR> i would love to hear about the running of the bulls festival? Do you remember where it took place. I would interested in finding out what festival it was and to see if they have one like in November. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 08:32 PM
John

Patricia, it looks like the nearest SNCF (rail) station is at Lunel, around 20 km from Aigues Mortes. However, SNCF offers a bus connection from Nimes, and I imagine a taxi from Lunel to Aigues Mortes wouldn't be very expensive.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 12:31 PM
pdv28

John, <BR> <BR> Thank you! I appreciate your help!! I will check the times to Lunel at www.sncf.com. <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:59 AM
caroline

Hello, <BR>If you visit south of France in automn that is off peak season, you should rent a car. Travelling by bus could take you more time (getting info, and in the bus since they are scarcer in this season). aigues-Mortes is very nice. You also would love Collioure, on the seaside, south of Perpignan, Carcassonne, a bigger city, but so beautiful, Gascony (Gers) with dozens of small occitan villages, very typical and rural (Gers is the most rural area in France). The capital of Gers has only 22000 inhabitants, and the next city has 7 000!!. You could love Toulouse too : Toulouse city center is like a village, gorgeous. You could aso like biking along the canal du Midi (you can rent bike www.revmoto.com). For more info on this region, you can contact me <BR>Have a nice trip

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 11:39 AM
pdv28

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your advice and help so far! I am still trying to keep my options open. What about any recommendations in southwest France? Any fav large or small towns easily accessed by train? Anyone been to lourdes, or montsequr(sp)? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Any and all comments are welcomed! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 11:42 AM
pdv28

This may sound stupid but where is the landscape that plays a large role in the book the 3 Musketeers? Would it be in Aquitaine? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Patricia

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:17 AM
Clairobscur

The town which would probably match perfectly your desires (Like nimes but smaller,etc..) is Arles. It's much more convenient to visit other places around than Aigues-Mortes (This town is certainly worth the visit, but it appears to me somewhat as a town-museum...and once again not centrally situated, and apparently has no train station). I do agree with another poster. A car would be a plus in this area. <BR>The most convenient town in the South-Wet would probably be Toulouse. From here, you could make a lot of interesting day-trips (Albi, Carcassonne, for instance). It could not be your best bet, though, if you like to stay in little towns. Avoid absolutely Lourdes, except if you're a pilgrim. The town is not that beautiful, crowded, costly, and not very conveniently situated. <BR> <BR>In order to answer to another poster, the St Bart massacre happened in paris, but was imitated in other towns when people heard of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -