Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in SW Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-sw-ireland-331237/)

sharb Jun 26th, 2003 06:15 AM

Where to stay in SW Ireland?

Help! We have 4 days in SW Ireland (arriving in Shannon)--should we base ourselves in Killarney for 4 nights, or just spend 2 there and one or two somewhere else (Kinsale, Dingle?). I would love any other recommendations on B&B's or 'must see's'--

Debbie Jun 26th, 2003 06:51 AM

Need more info --
when will you be there?
what do you like to do/see?
will you have a car?
what is your price range?
are you flying out of Shannon too?

sharb Jun 27th, 2003 06:34 AM

We will be there Aug 20-24. We want to see the countryside and cute towns. I want to spend around 30-35euros per person per night max. We will have a car and yes, we are flying in and out of Shannon. Any help is much appreciated, Debbie!

Debbie Jun 27th, 2003 09:02 AM

Well - since you will be there towards the end of the summer vacation period, I would avoid ( I can't believe I am saying this :O ) Killarney - It will most likely be a zoo , especially over a weekend. If you really want to be in that area , try Kenmare.

I personally loved Cashel - mostly because of Dualla House. Mairead Powers was a fantastic host, and so helpful when planning our driving excursions. You can really get to a lot of interesting places (incl Kilkenny, Waterford, Bennetsbridge, Jerpoint, Cahir) while sleeping in the same place every night.

If you click on my name - you will find my review of this B&B - I think it was 40€ per person but TOTALLY worth every penny.

Since you will be there over what will most likely be a very busy time, I would book your B&B(s) as soon as possible. A lot of them will already be booked up.
You only have 4 days in Ireland, I would not think you will want to spend precious time trying to find a place to stay once you get there.

wojazz3 Jun 27th, 2003 09:29 AM

I agree with Debbie on not staying in Killarney in August. It will be very crowded. Kenmare might be a bit crowded also but not as crazy as Killarney. Though I don't know much about the town, Kilorglin might be a possibility because it put you right between Dingle and the RoK. Then again, both of those areas would be very crowded.

If you stay in Kenmare, you will have access to the Beara peninsula which will be much less crowded. The Harbour View B&B is just outside of town on the Ring of Beara Rd and is very nice. The price should be in your range and the view is wonderful.

Glengariff is also a possibility and would allow the opportunity to visit the much less crowded Mizen and Sheepshead peninsulas.

Just a couple of ideas.

Bill

Kendra Jun 27th, 2003 09:34 AM

Debbie: I read your review of Dualla House. Are there restaurants and/or a pub within walking distance of it or is it really out in the country? Thanks!

Debbie Jun 27th, 2003 10:14 AM

it is about 8 miles ( 4 KM) out of town. The first time we drove it , I was thinking - oh man what did I book?
After we walked in , it was more like "WOW - did I book this?!?"
It is a straight shot right out of town to the B&B - Mairead gives you very specific directions on when to turn.
There are plenty of pubs/restaurants in the heart of town.
And since you will be there in Aug when it will still be light until around 10, it shouldn't be too bad getting back to the B&B.

Ardfert Jun 28th, 2003 08:01 AM

On www.gulliver.ie you can find a selection of accomodation in most parts of Ireland which can be booked on-line.

Owen_ONeill Jun 28th, 2003 09:12 AM

We stayed only one night in Cashel on our recent visit but it was at Dualla House and well worth the $40 Euro per person. Mrs. Power is lovely and congenial and the room was great - most comfortable bed and best linens of the entire trip. Here's a composite photo I took of the room and property

http://espressotravelguide.com/images/dualla-comp.jpg

We stayed at Clonmara House in Dingle and although the proprietors were less congenial and more business like, I can highly recommend it - best bath facilities of the trip, very nice room and excellent views of the harbor - it was $56 Euro per night for two people.