Where to stay in St Remy de Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,I am having a hard time finding sources for hotel recommendations in this region and hoping that there are some here who can fill that gap. Both RS and LP have only 3-4 suggestions each and, short of looking up everything on Google Maps or using Expedia, I can't find much on the net. I have never had this issue before and don't understand, as I can see that there are lots of options according to Google maps.

We have about a week in Provence and are thinking that St Remy is the best base from which to day trip with a car to Nimes, Orange, Arles, the Luberon, Aix, L'isle sur le sorgue, the gorges du Verdun and possibly even Marseilles, although we may move camp for the Marseilles portion of the trip.

Our Canadian dollar doesn't go as far as yours does in the US, so I always try and keep accommodations to around $200/night (CAD/USD, not euros).

We aren't fancy, just need somewhere clean, comfortable and walking distance to restaurants and shops. Thinking AC might be a must in late May/early June in this region.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 02:55 PM

https://www.chateaudesalpilles.com/e...my-de-provence

I just re-read your post
This is probably over your $200 limit

See attached Provence itinerary

Stu Dudley
Attached Files

Last edited by StuDudley; Jan 6th, 2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 03:19 PM

Consider a gite!!! We have rented 72 of them for 114 weeks in the past 21 years. Almost always 7 night minimum and Sat to Sat. I could not find the one we rented in 1999 - but here is a place to start. If the link works.

https://www.gites-de-france.com/fr/s...eed=17b74b7b&f[0]=type%3A36172&f[1]=epis%3A4&f[2]=epis%3A3

This would probably be my choice if you wanted to be in town
https://www.gites-de-france.com/en/p...stra-13g202018

We usually rent our gites in Provence about 1 1/2 years in advance. So better act quickly. BTW, there is no law that says you have to stay there for the full 7 days - but you have to pay for 7 days.
Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Jan 6th, 2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 04:24 PM

In my opinion, air conditioning is definitely not a 'must' at that time of year.

Is there anything wrong with booking.com or Expedia? Pretty easy to filter by rating and location. The other thing to do is, if you're seeing places on google maps, just click on them and go to their website.

We stayed at a small hotel (may 4-6 rooms) in the middle of town but it was a long time ago. We loved our stay in St Remy.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 02:13 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions. The attached itinerary is much appreciated.

Chateau d'Appilles is out of our budget, but I will check out gites de france.

I usually use sites like booking.com or expedia once I have a few places in mind. I always prefer to start with personal recommendations.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 03:53 AM

Several years ago we stayed at Hotel Canto Cigalo. Being Canadian, I completely understand the exchange issue We stayed here several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed waking up to the smell of fresh-baked croissants! I believe it may meet your budget criteria however it is located on the outskirts of town but within a few short minutes' drive. It has a lovely garden where we could enjoy a glass of wine in the evening.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In approx. 20 trips to Europe, we paid $200 once....$178 to be specific, at an airport hotel (Frankfurt) where we arrived 8 PM
In southern France (the most recent 6 of the 20) we probably averaged $100/night (Can$130). But those 100 nights were almost entirely B&Bs, maybe 15 in hotels.

Are you considering only hotels, or also B&Bs?

Why the restriction to being within walking distance to shops? What's so bad about being 4 miles from town, and driving in, and parking to shop? Worst case, you have to park 3 blocks from center, and walk past shops to get to shops in the center, absorbing local culture all the way.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 08:51 AM

We really enjoyed our stay at Le Mas des Carassins. Our room was fine, nothing particularly special, but we particularly enjoyed dinners there. We had a choice of deciding each day whether or not to opt for dinner but found our first dinner so enjoyable and delicious that we returned for dinner in their garden each evening.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 09:14 AM

We loved Aix but took the bus to Marseille for train travel and also took 2 good tours. Go to entry #4 for the Aix start in my TR:
Trip Report: A Provence Sandwich
So much to do!
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kiddo
Several years ago we stayed at Hotel Canto Cigalo. Being Canadian, I completely understand the exchange issue We stayed here several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed waking up to the smell of fresh-baked croissants! I believe it may meet your budget criteria however it is located on the outskirts of town but within a few short minutes' drive. It has a lovely garden where we could enjoy a glass of wine in the evening.

This looks perfect! Thank you for recommending it.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by tomboy
In approx. 20 trips to Europe, we paid $200 once....$178 to be specific, at an airport hotel (Frankfurt) where we arrived 8 PM
In southern France (the most recent 6 of the 20) we probably averaged $100/night (Can$130). But those 100 nights were almost entirely B&Bs, maybe 15 in hotels.

Are you considering only hotels, or also B&Bs?

Why the restriction to being within walking distance to shops? What's so bad about being 4 miles from town, and driving in, and parking to shop? Worst case, you have to park 3 blocks from center, and walk past shops to get to shops in the center, absorbing local culture all the way.
I guess I have been lucky, but I have managed to get $150/night hotels in neighbourhoods within walking distance of the city centre in Munich, the Rhine, Paris, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and even Rome!

I would definately consider B&Bs, just don't have a lot of experience staying in them.or knowing where to look for them online. I am not comfortable with AirBnB though.

As for being in town, I don't want to have to worry about parking and like being surrounded by the heart and soul of a place, not being on the outskirts of it.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
We really enjoyed our stay at Le Mas des Carassins. Our room was fine, nothing particularly special, but we particularly enjoyed dinners there. We had a choice of deciding each day whether or not to opt for dinner but found our first dinner so enjoyable and delicious that we returned for dinner in their garden each evening.
I just discovered this one the other day.It looks lovely! Happy to hear that your experience there was good. Thank you.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And, of course, one shouldn't drink and drive.