Where to stay in Southwest Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in the process of planning our first trip to Ireland. We've decided to primarily explore Southwest Ireland and some of the Southeast. Would anyone have any recommendations on an itinerary and places to stay along the way starting in Shannon. Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Have you tried a search on this forum? This matter is dealt with exhaustively about once a month. Check what has already been discussed, and then perhaps come back with questions on any detail of which you are unsure.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:32 AM

You don't say how many days you have and I assume you will be renting a car. I would drive from Shannon to Kinsale the first day, about 3.5 hours and from there wind my way north along the coast hitting all of the Peninsulas. They are all lovely with spectacular coastlines and lovely Irish villages. The Ring of Beara in my opinion is more lovely than the ROK and the Sleahead drive around the Dingle peninsula is one of "must do" things on your first trip. Try to incorporate the drive between Kenmare and Killarney in your drive as the views throught the Mts. and the National Park are breathtaking. The Healy Pass on the Beara peninsual and the Connor pass on the Dingle peninsula are also great drives and much easier than they were ten years ago. You should post your number of of days and date but in any event have fun.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Don't miss out on Skibbereen, Schull, Baltimore, Clear Island. Absolutely breathtaking; wonderful people; Skibb has a website listing B&Bs and hotels. The Famine Cemetery in Skibb is not to be missed, especially if you are of Irish descent. Standing stones and castles; few tourists; great pubs and restaurants.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Since your original post says the SW and SOME of the SE, consider:
Shannon to Cashel. 2 nights Visit Cashel, Cahir and possibly Kilkenny.
Drive the 'Vee" to Lismore (Waterford, if you MUST)through Youghal, Cohb and settle in Kinsale. From there, follow JOHNOD's route for the SW.
That would be good for a 10-12 day trip.

Bob
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I would certainly second Baltimore and Clear and Sherkin Island, they are my favorites spots in Ireland. I will be spending another week there in June.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM

JOHNOD: I'm so jealous that my heart hurts! I have been there twice and the next time I go to Ireland I will stay longer in that area. It's always surprised me that the tour groups don't include it, but that is probably a good thing.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM

JOHNOD:

I had a fabulous walk around Sherkin a couple of weeks ago. It was glorious. We stayed in Castletownshend for a week.

Bill
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. Here are more details on our trip that may change your suggestions.

We are staying seven nights, eight days, arriving May 10th (6 am) in Shannon and leaving on May 17th from Shannon. My siblings and I (six of us) are taking our parents because my father, who is terminally ill, has always wanted to go to there. We want to get as much in as possible but we also don't want it to be too exhausting for our father either. We would like to see countryside as well as ocean scenery.

Based on your suggestions on areas to see, I've come up with the following possible itineraries. Which do you think we would get the most out of?

2 nights Cashel
2 nights Kinsale
2 nights Kenmare
1 night near Shannon (possibly Ennis where ancestors are from)

OR

2 nights Dingle
2 nights Kenmare
2 nights Cashel
1 night near Shannon airport

Also, does anyone know if there are vans in Ireland and if you can hire a driver?

Thanks so much.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM

We did a similar trip in April of 1999 five of us and my then, 81 year old, father-in-law. I rented a VW Carravelle (US equivilent is a VW BUS). In Feb, 2002, six of us rented a Mercedes Vito van. Both vehicles are classified as '9 Passenger People Movers'. You would need AT LEAST that size vehicle for so many, including luggage. MOST of the "7" Passenger People Movers would actually be too small.

There are a number of companies that offer what is referred to as Chauffeur drive Car Hires.
Here is the link to 45 listings on the Irish Tourist Board web-site:

http://www.ireland.ie/Result/Getting...ategoryID=1263

If your 'LINK' is Ennis, you might want to drop one night from Cashel and add it into Ennis / Co. Clare. Understand that I don't know of ANY locations in Ireland that wouldn't warrant a WEEK or more, but given your limited time and extenuating circumstances, what I would do is:

1 night each in Cashel, Kinsale, Glenngarriff, Killarney and Dingle and the last two in Co. Clare -- Ennis or Ballyvaughn.

While it flies in the face of the 'Nest' recommendations, it DOES cover a lot of ground in MANAGEABLE bits and gives you a respite, at the end, to "rest up" AND to savour 'the ancestral home'.

Given that this is LITERALLY a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would think that you would want to make the most of it.

Bob
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM

I would vote for the second. Dingle is a top spot for me and I would hate for your dad to miss it on his only trip. Have fun
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I vote for the second. The scenery of Dingle is outstanding and the feel of the place is of a real Irish fishing village along with tourist.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I vote for the second version also. I prefer Dingle to Kinsale.

Bob has given you some good links and there have been a number of people that have hired a driver with great success. I think with an ailing family member, nesting is probably good. All the best.

Bill
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I like your second choiceingle, Kenmare,Cashel... includes my favorites.

this past June our family of 10 used Discover Ireland Tours for our trip

They can plan for you but we chose our itinerary, places to stay and sights to be included.

We had a fantastic trip and traveled in style in a 16-18 passenger bus (like the big ones with big windows, comfy seats, and lots of room inside and under for storage).

Our driver/guide was wonderful and took good care of us as well as keeping us entertained.

It was nice to have someone do the driving and some of the older members (and the youngest) took advantage of the roomy seating to nap along the way from sight to sight.

The driver kept a fridge stocked with water and drinks for us. He also knew some wonderful pubs to stop for a break...which I think the older members really appreciated. We also pulled over often at scenic spots to walk around and get pictures.

The itinerary was very flexible and we stayed as long/short at each stop as the group wanted.

It was the best of both worlds...someone else driving and entertaining/informing us on the way and we got to go where/when we wanted.

This is the way to go with a group...the price was more than if you went on your own, but well worth it (I know that I wouldn't want to drive a van in Ireland and the thought of my father driving is a bit scarey...even at home)...my friend took a CIE trip the month before we did for the same time and the price was almost the same.

They were very professional, courteous, and timely with phone calls and emails throughout the planning process. They provided a very detailed itinerary that spelled out everything that would be included.

Everyone in our group was extremely happy with the whole trip. It is a great experience to share with your family.

you can click my name to pull up and look for my trip report and photos that cover some of the places that you are interested in visiting.