Where to stay in Skye?

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Skye?

You have all helped me hone an itinerary and my current task is booking accommodations. But I have a question about the 3 nights we plan to spend in Skye (in Skye? on Skye?).

janisj suggested a B&B with a very central location, so as to be more easily able to get places. But for that particular B&B, we're then pretty stuck in terms of dinner choices. Portree has the most options as far as I can tell, but is less centrally located. Are there other choices that are more central but near to other amenities? (We may well need a laundromat by that point).

OR, is Skye small enough that you can pretty much stay anywhere and get to where you want to go?

As always, thanks for your expert help.

Alice
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:30 AM

I stayed in Portree and went to Uig and Dunvegan from there with no problems. The roads are narrow and winding but there is little traffic to impede your progress. I really liked Portree

You can use Viamichelin.com to determine driving times; I always add 25% to whatever time they suggest.

Unless you specify your itinerary it would be difficult for anyone to tell you if there would be a problem with staying in Portree.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Ah, well, I haven't gotten to what we'll be doing while we're there. Everything I've looked at seems wonderful, but with only 3 days, I know I'll have to be selective. We'll be coming FROM Glencoe, and GOING to somewhere in the Inverness area (to be determined) after.

Alice
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:59 AM

If you don't have an itinerary then I wouldn't worry about where you stay. Portree to Dunvegan is only 40 - 50 minutes so it's not far. Driving on Skye is very easy. Just be vigilant about oncoming traffic on one lane roads and be prepared to pull over. I got good at it!
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want choices then Portree is the best place to stay. It has a good number of pubs with food and restaurants all within easy walking distance from each other.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I suggested staying at sligachan - not a B&B but an actual hotel w/ pub, restaurants. It is the most central place on the island. But it is off by itself. If you want to be in a town with more services (bank, cafes, shops) then you'd want to stay in Portree.

I prefer Sligachan myself because I like to wander any/everywhere and Portree adds an hour or more to your RT drives to a lot of places.

I used to stay in a B&B in Sconser for the same reason . . . But they've retired.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I looked at sligachan, it's tempting. What a nice dilemma to have!

Alice