Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Scotland? What area should we stay in the highlands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What area should we stay in the highlands? I was reading Speyside is nice, but we want to stay somewhere that is easy to drive to other areas within the highlands or some day trips. We want to see Lochness, we want to go on nice day hikes etc. We were think 4 nights in the highlands - any suggestions?
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Depends on what you want to do. Personally, I love Thurso and surrounding towns. Small, quaint and interesting. We used Thurso Bay Caravan & Camping Park as a base and drove all over the area. The caravans are new and really clean and well kept. See: http://www.thursobayholidays.co.uk/

A bus trip to Orkney Islands is a strong suggestion. Book the full day tour. It is worth the extra expense.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure I'd recommend Thurso for a first timer unless wanting to visit Orkney and/ or if there's an interest in prehistoric sites. It's not convenient if wanting to visit Loch Ness area. Speyside is nice but there are other options. The area around Loch Ness is one option. Not necessarily Inverness but Black Isle etc. might work. Too busy now for further comment. Will try to get back but janisj and a few others can give you some good advice.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Thurso is very far from things you want to see. The general Inverness area is fine. Not IN Inverness but nearby. From tbere you could day trip to Speyside, the Black Isle, Ft George, Loch Ness, Elgin/Nairn, dunrobbin, Dornoch, the west coast/Inverewe . . . Many more things than you could possibly manage in your short time.

(Darn iPad, had to over ride it three times. Kept turning Thurso into Thursday . . . But at least now it has learned it )
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!!! I am helping my daughter plan her honeymoon. The internet has given her so many options that she is now overwhelmed. Going to start by looking at towns near Inverness.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 05:59 PM

If they want a town - look at Nairn. Right on the water and a good base for touring around. But having a car, they can stay in any village or 'wide spot in the road'.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 06:09 PM

We spent 4 nights in Inverness as part of a 16 day Scotland trip in September. We found it to be an unspectacular but pleasant small city. We found a beautiful B & B near the center of town, an easy drive to get to the Black Isle, Loch Ness, and several beautiful castles. There were plenty of great restaurants within a few minutes drive.

Not an expert on this area by any means, but we enjoyed our time in Inverness. We spent no time there during the day, but it was fine as a base.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 09:09 PM

>>We found it to be an unspectacular but pleasant small city<<

Sorry but that is faint praise IMO. In Scotland there are sooooooo many truly spectacular locations, why stay in a not-so-terrific place?
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 02:34 AM

Phillyboy, What areas on your 16 day visit were favorites?
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 08:55 AM

FACS - Though we enjoyed our entire trip, our favorite areas were not in the Highlands. We also stayed in the small town of Kelso, in the Scottish Borders region. Lovely area, lots of history. With it's close proximity to England, we found it to be a great blend of both cultures.

We also loved Edinburgh ... the Castle, the Royal Mile, beautiful city.

janisj - I understand your point. Since we chose Inverness based primarily on logistics and as a place to sleep, and stayed in a beautiful B&B with a very nice proprietor, it suited us well. Agree that it's probably not for everybody.