Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Sarlat??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:39 AM
John G

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel or guesthouse in the village of Sarlat in France? St. Cirq are you there?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:50 AM
xxx

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1353059&numresponses=7&st art=0&searchText=sarlat<BR><BR>And if you do a search I think you'll find others as well.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:01 AM
StCirq

John G:<BR><BR>What time of year are you going? The "village" of Sarlat becomes a mad throng after mid-June and you might not want to stay in town.<BR><BR>I have plenty of suggestions, but first, when are you going and what do you look for in a hotel/inn?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:04 AM
John G

In the refered-to post, St. Cirq states that Sarlat is extremely crowded in the summer months. I hate crowds. Maybe I shouldn't stay in Sarlat?? What other town is good nearby?? Im thinking maybe I should go to Malta instead.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:08 AM
John G

St. Cirq, Im thinking of an inn that is charming, with beveled-glass windows and covered with ivy or bougainvillea. I really don't want to visit too many other places, maybe just drive to see Rocamadour and that's it. I really just want to relax, eat foie gras, drink wine, go for walks, shop, go swimming, get a tan, etc..

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:09 AM
John G

I was going to go at the end of July.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:07 AM
StCirq

John G:<BR><BR>What time of year are you going? The "village" of Sarlat becomes a mad throng after mid-June and you might not want to stay in town.<BR><BR>I have plenty of suggestions, but first, when are you going and what do you look for in a hotel/inn?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:17 AM
StCirq

Try the Hostellerie du Meysset justs outside Sarlat (you could walk in for market, shopping, etc., then come home to your begonia-bedecked patio and a lovely meal).<BR><BR>Or the Moulin Neuf in Paunat, though it would be better to be on the other side of Sarlat.<BR><BR>Or La Metairie Haute in Lassere (5kms from Sarlat).<BR><BR>Or Les Fontenilles in Le Bugue.<BR><BR>Or the Auberge du Noyer just outside Le Bugue.<BR><BR>Closer to Rocamadour is the Hostellerie de la Bouriane in Gourdon.<BR><BR>These should meet your criteria. You should be able to "Google" them, but if you need more info, let me know.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 07:26 PM
John G

Merci, again, St. Cirq. My friend did menttion Meysset, but I couldn't remember the name. He said they didn't have a pool, however. Can I go swimming somewhere else, like in a river or pond maybe? Where can I get the best foie gras and can I take a tour of Chateau Figeac and buy some wine there? You are such a big help.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 07:57 PM
StCirq

JohnG:<BR> you can bathe in the Dordogne - it is pristine clear and you can swim in it at any beach you come across from St-Cyprien to Sarlat. Or you can go to the Piscine Municipale of any main (meaning more than 500 inhabitants) village in the Dordogne - just follow the signs in the middle of the village.<BR>Regarding the *best foie gras* - are you a TOTAL afficionado - I mean, will you know what kind of corn and how much was fed to the goose? If not, relax and go the Les Fontenilles restaurant/auberge in Le Bugue on the road from Campagne and have the foie gras appetizer,which is a sandwich of foie gras and butter that will kill you. The total menu is about 30 euros. You'll put this place in your will. <BR>You might also want to try the Tournepique, a local restaurant on the bridge over the Dordogne under the castle of Castelnaud - hang out on the far terrace that overlooks the river below and the lit-up castle above you. These are totally local suggestions, not for tourists. If you want menus gastronomiques for places that tourists frequent, and I'm not suggesting that they aren't worth it, let me know and I'll list them, too.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:09 PM
John G

St. Cirq, I love foie gras. It is my favorite thing to eat. If I were going to the electric chair, I would want foie gras and a bottle of '63 Yquem. <BR><BR>I hate tourist places, really. Although, it would be nice to meet some other travelers and talk about our trip.<BR><BR>What about Chateau Figeac?? Do you know anything about it and how I get in for a "tasting?" Thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:16 PM
StCirq

Yeah, the Ch&acirc;teau Figeac would be a great place to stay, but about 90 km away from the main stuff you want to see in the P&eacute;rigord.<BR><BR>Figeac is a great town, but it's miles away from, and way different from, the P&eacute;rigord.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:47 PM
mimi taylor

Keep it up, I'm going that way in August.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Alex

Part of the fun in Sarlat is beeing staying in or close to the Old Town quarter.<BR>We stayed at Hotel de Selves which offers modern confort and even a small swiming pool and enjoyed it very much

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:28 AM
John G

Merci, again, St. Cirq. I don't think I would mind driving 90KM to get to Figeac, or would this take along time because of the small, winding roads you spoke about? <BR><BR>Alex, but St. Cirq suggests I not stay in Sarlat directly because of the crowds of people. Did you find it overwhelmed with tourists when you were there? I can't stand crowds in small places. This is why I refuse to go to Florence or Venice in summer.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Wayne

I'd stay in Grolejac, Carsac, or Vitrac--three villages near enough to Sarlat but not quite so overrun with tourists. I'd not stay in Domme, either, for the same reason. However, do visit Sarlat, Domme, and the many other villages on and near the Dordogne. In Vitrac, a good hotel at a reasonable price is the Plaisance, overlooking the river.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:54 AM
John

In Sarlat, Hotel La Couleuvrine is very nice - small and close (maybe too close) to all the bustle; the beautiful restaurant, however, is outta here - is Michelin asleep at the switch?

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:37 PM

TTT

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 02:49 PM
StCirq

Alex: From John G's description of what he's looking for in a hotel, the Selv&egrave;s, while probably a great place, I think is about the last place he'd want to stay.<BR><BR>John G: Vitrac is a good suggestion. In addition to the Plaisance, there is the Relais des Cinq Ch&acirc;teaux, which also has one of my favorite restaurants.<BR><BR>And thinking about the "best" foie gras, here's a tip. Drive to Les Eyzies (you'll probably want to say you've passed through "the cradle of prehistory" anyway (and the troglodyte dwellings are worth a gander) and stop at the Boutique Artisanale shop that's right next to the Cr&eacute;dit Agricole bank (with the teensy parking lot) in town. All the best regional foie gras producers sell their wares here (and you can taste before you buy). My very favorite thing to buy here is tinned quail stuffed with foie gras. If that sort of thing appeals to you, as you walk in the door that's right beside the entance to the bank, the first stall on your immediate right (assuming they haven't switched booths!) sells this stuff. The producer is R. Lacon, and it comes in little green, rectangular tins marked "Une Caille Enti&egrave;re D&eacute;soss&eacute;e Four&eacute;e au Foie Gras de Canard." There's nothing better than this stuff.<BR><BR>But anywhere you go, and particularly in Sarlat, you will be bombarded by foie gras. The supermarkets have an entire aisle with nothing but foie gras and similar products. Believe me, you can't miss the stuff.Godard is a very good brand, but there are others. It all depends on your taste.<BR><BR>Re: Figeac. I don't have any concrete information to give you - maybe a web search would yield some results, and I'll keep checking. I do love that town, though.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 02:49 PM
lynn

Hi John:<BR>We were in Sarlat last July for a few days.<BR>While Sarlat was busy there were lots of places to wander that were devoid of heavy crowds. I sat in a tea shop just off one of the squares and was able to sip away quietly and look around at the amazing and ancient architecture. We stayed at the hotel de Selves (mentioned by another poster above) and found it very comfortable, quiet and just a 5 minute walk to the market stalls. (5 minutes back carrying all that foie gras I bought was just as much as I needed, no driving) I was warned away from the hotel last year by someone on this board but we decided to go for it as it was in town and we enjoy wandering around the town in the cool of the evening and not have to worry about driving after a few drinks. The hotel was just fine for us, I couldn't understand the warning we received actually. It isn't a quaint inn, but if you want to be in town sometimes these aren't always practical as they are out of town. The pool at the hotel was an enjoyable extra and parking was free outside the hotel on the street.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -