Where to stay in Sardinia

Feb 7th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Sardinia

Hello everyone! We are planning our first trip to Sardinia it with our three boys, 17, 2 and 10 months old. We're going to London for a wedding in August, and plan on going to Sardinia after. So unfortunately we're kind of married to mid August dates (pun intended hehe)
I know in mid August it will be crazy packed, but id rather go than not! Are there are towns we can stay in to avoid big crowds? I do wanna be close to the beach and restaurants/nightlife etc. What are some town we should absolutely avoid? I wanna experience the true Sardinian culture, not American/British resorts!
I found some gorgeous sea front villas in the following areas:
Porto Cervo
Porto Rotundo/marinella beach
Flumini
Pula
Torre Delle Stelle

Are any of these SUPER touristy? I know we can't avoid the crowds in August, but it would be nice to mingle with some locals!

Any advice is much appreciated
Feb 8th, 2017, 03:56 AM

It may be difficult to experience true Sardinian culture, as almost all tourists (and some hotel staff too) comes from Italian mainland. The food served at most places is tiypically Italian but not Sardinian.

In the areas you mention, you can always move to less crowded beach areas (if you have a car), but be there before 10am if you want to rent chairs and umbrellas.

Another solution could be to book a hotel with a private beach (like Hotel dei Pini at Fertilia, Hotel Capriccioli, Hotel Don Diego, etc. etc.....)
Feb 8th, 2017, 06:39 AM

Do you mean Fiuminimaggiore? It is not by the sea.
I never had a problem ordering Sardinian food in Sardinia, from fregola to mallodredus to seadas to pane carasau to bottarga ........
Beaches will be crowded in August. I found the West coast wilder and more sparsely populated than the East Coast.
Feb 8th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Marinella is superb. However, it is extremely expensive. My wife's sister has a condo in Golfo Aranci, which is a stone's throw from Marinella, and it's a great town. It has many great eating places, and fabulous beaches. You can go to Marinella's beaches in ten minutes if you choose. The hotel rates are one third those of Marinella's. On August 15th, they have a great feast, celebrating the holiday of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and the town puts out a free food night, with music and other entertainment. I have been going there for more than fifteen years, and I love it. There are many places to find rooms, but the best are The Margerita, and the Gabbiano Azzuro. I don't know if you can find rooms there at that time, but there are many others.
Feb 8th, 2017, 07:29 AM

By the way, the BEST place to dine in Golfo Aranci, is La Speigola. You absolutely CAN'T BEAT IT.
Feb 8th, 2017, 10:13 AM

I've been five times and I think you need to rethink your view of the island.

Super touristy : I not sure how this is defined but in all our visits I can encounter as sparse number of Brits, more French and slighter more Germans/Swedes. The rest of the visitors (around 90%) are Italians, mainly from Roman and Milan. The only American I have ever encountered was Tom Hanks in Porto Cervo.

Some areas have a reputation for being ultra exclusive but I'd say it's just a myth created by the newspapers. There are a few hotels where prices are in the e000s a night and there are some huge super yachts usually moored in Cala Di Volpe bay but compared with say St Kitts or The Turks and Caicos, the Costa Smerelda is like much of Italian cutlure : a lot of show.

August : yes, it can be very busy. We have had to queue for spot on the beach at Cappricioli but it does in my opinion happen to be one of the best in Europe, on a quiet day.

We have covered the whole coast and for a first visit I'd base your self in the NE. From there, you can visit Corsica, the stunning La Maddalena islands and spend days driving round beaches which just get better and better.

I'd rebase your expectations about the standards of hotels on the island, we have always found its probably quite justifiable to knock off at least one or two stars on any rating for a hotel. Of the three very expensive hotels we have visited, all don't even come close to the usual standards offered by Asian and Caribbean hotels in terms of food quality and service.

I'd agree with neckervd, Hotel Cappricioli on Cala Di Volpe is a good option, I think you have to book full board in August, we have eaten there and the food was pretty good. It's on the beach where James Bond drove his Lotus Esprit into the water but the beach isn't private. You will just be able to get a good spot before the hoards arrive.

Father up the coast, La Ginistre in Cala Di Volpe is lovely as is Hotel Capo D'Orso further north.

If you want true Sardinian cuisine visit Agriturismo La Saltara which is just inland from the North East coast. They offer a spectacular fixed menu each evening which includes suckling pig, roasted before you.
Feb 8th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks so much guys! I think we've narrowed it down to Golfo aranci, Pula and and Poetto beach (that's where the villas are). Thank you for suggesting Golfo Aranci, it looks like a perfect little town! I'm leaning more towards the North East as well. Also, is it easy to find vegetarian food in sardinia? My husband will basically eat any walking thing, but I'm vegetarian and one of the biggest reasons I love Italy so much is because of how much vegetarian food they have! Is that also true in Sardinia (no seafood)?
Once again, thanks so much again for this information
Feb 9th, 2017, 06:45 AM

I think you will love Golfo Aranci. Don't forget La Spigola. It's right on the beach. I forgot--if you want to stay in a condo, try to get something in La Terza Spiaggia. That is the best. Great views of the sea.
Feb 9th, 2017, 08:21 AM

Poetto is the public beach of the city of Cagliari (cabins, lockers, toilets, showers, bar, restaurant, chairs, umbrellas). Nice for a short stay, but nothing to write home about.

Pula: sandy beach, behind are the hotels (not too expensive), one beside the other.

Marinello is close to Golfo Aranci. All Golfo Aranci - Sassari (- Cagliari) trains stop there.
Feb 9th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I think I have already fallen in love with Golfo Aranci and am ready to move there haha! It's incredible how much cheaper it is compared to Costa Smeralda! Now I'm ferociously trying to find a place to stay since most of the good rentals are already booked. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great tip!!

Search this Thread