Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where to stay in Rome near the train station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-rome-near-the-train-station-828147/)

susiebgood Feb 24th, 2010 05:54 PM

where to stay in Rome near the train station

Looking for advice on where to stay in Rome for just one night ; aplce near the train station; the train coming from Florence... Thank you! You writers are very helpful!

susiebgood Feb 24th, 2010 05:55 PM

I meant, a place,sorry!

kybourbon Feb 24th, 2010 06:00 PM

Budget?

susiebgood Feb 25th, 2010 06:33 PM

120 US Dollars? Actually there will be 5 of us (adults), so probably 2 rooms?

leuk2 Feb 25th, 2010 07:16 PM

Check out Rick Steves book on Rome /Italy

louisvdwalt Feb 25th, 2010 08:32 PM

San Michele close by Porta Pia is a very nice afordable family run B&B (paid Euro 100 for double room last year May). Conveniently close to the Station and City attractions - [email protected]

Regards

Louis

TravelStory Feb 26th, 2010 07:20 AM

Hi,

The area near the station in Rome is not that nice...are you able to go anywhere else? Its all quite close...if not there is one I think called Nord Nuova Roma that is one of the better ones. http://www.qualityvillasitaly.co.uk

charnees Feb 26th, 2010 07:48 AM

A friend stayed at Hotel des Artistes with his teen-age daughter and thought it was very nice. He was not put off by the neighborhood, even at night. It has a wider range of accommodations than most hotels.

ThinGorjus Feb 26th, 2010 08:08 AM

>The area near the station in Rome is not that nice...are you able to go anywhere else?<

That is absolutely not true if we are discussing the area West and North of Termini. Two of the most expensive 5-star hotels (Exedra and St. Regis Grand) in Rome are located across the street from Termini at Piazza Repubblica. The opera house and Maria Maggiore are also located near Termini.

Yes, the area South of Termini is seedy. But, there are plenty of hotels west of Termini that you don't have to stay there.

Thin

LJ Feb 26th, 2010 08:10 AM

Both the Hotel Sonya and the Hotel Aberdeen fit the description: close, but decent neighbourhoods and both offer those camera famiglia or rooms for 3 persons that it sounds as if you will need.

rnman Feb 26th, 2010 08:27 AM

10 minute walk.. near Piazza Republica... nice area. Hotel Adler or the Belle Suites upstairs. I stayed at the Belle Suites $132 USD.. it was fine... recommend it.

annabelle2 Mar 1st, 2010 03:08 PM

If you want a place not too far and definitely not seedy:
www.nicolasinn.com

This B&B is popular and gets a lot of press, so it is not always easy to book. I would definitely stay there again. We walked there (down busy Via Cavour with luggage in tow) from the train station in about 15-20 minutes. Five of us stayed there: one triple room with 3 single beds and a roomy bath on the street side and a double, also with nice bath, on the quieter interior courtyard side. The street side is noisy, but the high quality windows did a great job of keeping out the noise.

Not sure what your one night plan entails, but the Nicolas Inn is just a short walk to the Roman Forum, lit up beautifully at night, and there is a trattoria right next door that serves good food. The Inn's owners are multilingual (she is American) and super helpful, although they do not live on site.

Ann1 Mar 1st, 2010 04:00 PM

When you map out the hotel just make sure it isn't east of Piazza Republica and south of the station. Via Giovanni Amendola and Via Principe Amendeo I can tell you first hand they are really bad areas. We couldn't get into our favorite hotel one year and stayed on Via Principe Amendeo......we were stepping over hookers and drug addicts to get into the hotel. Fortunately our favorite hotel called us to say they had a cancellation so we ran...not walked....

The hotel itself was really nice, but the area was really bad.

ThinGorjus Mar 1st, 2010 06:58 PM

I once stayed at the Bettoja San Giorgio Hotel on Via G. Amendola (a first-class hotel). I never saw any hookers or drug addicts in front of the hotel.

In fact, my parents stayed at the same hotel when they took a Trafalgar Tour of Italy. I don't think Trafalgar would put people up in a hotel in a dangerous area.

Keith and I were just in Rome in September. We were staying at the St. Regis Grand in the Piazza Repubblica. We walked all around that area (bought our groceries in Conad in basement of Termini), even went to a pharmacy off of G. Amendola. I never saw any hookers or felt unsafe.

But, then again, I work in Center City Philadelphia and have seen people shot on the street so a hooker or heroin addict wouldn't get a flutter of an eyelash from me.

Thin

dutyfree Mar 1st, 2010 07:32 PM

Hotel Aberdeen which is in Rick Steves,Frommers,etc. is a gem!I have stayed there repeatedly over the past 12 years and it is a great 3 star hotel near everything. It is right off of Via Nationale and is right near the Piazza Repubblica metro stop. The staff,breakfast,rooms,free internet,etc. is everything that you would want in Rome-just wish the layover hotel that my airline uses for our crew layovers was as convenient and nice!
Check it out on Tripadvisor-I hope that you can get a room as it fills up rather quickly.

hanabilly Mar 1st, 2010 07:57 PM

I second the Nord Nuova Roma suggestion. It might be a little over the 120 E target, but not too far. It is very near the station. They have a triple room that is very generous in size. The lobby is very nice, and the staff were very helpful and professional.

myramyra Mar 2nd, 2010 05:57 AM

once we stayed in House Vacation Marino on Via Montebello sul Sangro, very convenient b&b but absolutely basic

kybourbon Mar 2nd, 2010 06:07 AM

>>>It might be a little over the 120 E target, but not too far.<<<

The target was $120(88€), not 120€.

kakijalan Mar 2nd, 2010 06:14 AM

try searching on www.cross-pollinate.com for sthg within your budget.
they're run by the owners of The Beehive and give a personal take on the properties

Ann1 Mar 2nd, 2010 06:44 AM

ThinGorjus: Yes, tours will put you in not so good areas. I have seen it myself. I have seen tours come out of hotel in areas I wouldn't put my worst enemy. I am also a city person so not much scares me. I actually experienced the hookers and drug addicts myself, I didn't just hear about it. I physically stepped over them. Piazza Republica is a great area. "Our favorite" hotel is near there. I'm not talking about that. I said east of there.

Susiebegood: I would also suggest the Aberdeen. "Our Favorite" hotel sends guests there if they don't have room and visa versa. I'm sorry I can't say the name of the hotel because it's hard enough to get a reservation there.