Notices

Where to stay in Rome in August?

Old Apr 21st, 2019, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Rome in August?

Hello. If I book in the Vatican or Trastevere areas will I get tired having to walk in/ catch the bus to the main sites, every day?
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can we possibly answer a question that depends so much on such a variety of factors? I happen to love staying in Trastevere, have on most of my visits. I'm in my 70's, love walking & buses. So from my own experience, no. But any number of personal factors might mean "yes, you'll get tired".

Last edited by MmePerdu; Apr 21st, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 04:59 PM
J62

i've stayed both near the Vatican and in Trastevere before and never got tired having to walk in/catch the bus to the main sites, every day. One other person traveling with me did get tired every day, so I'd say your chances are 50/50. ymmv.

Last edited by J62; Apr 21st, 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 06:35 PM

I would stay near the Via Guilia. You are close to Vatican, Trastevere, and Piazza Navona.

Thin🐩
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:47 PM

What sites do you want to go to?
What I would worry most about is having great air-conditioning and easy access to non-crowded transit. Trastevere (April 2016) was fine, because I just took the tram if I wanted to go to the center, and I took buses for the various non-center places I went. I also walked across the river from Trastevere on various occasions.
Having said that, it sounds like you probably want to go to the sites that are clustered in the center, and that being the case, you should get a hotel, with great air-conditioning, that is in the center. That may be expensive, so you have to determine what tradeoffs you want to make. I found Hotel Julia very central, but I don't know how good its air-conditioning would be in August (as I was there in January 2005).
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:02 PM

Trastevere and the loosely defined "Vatican area" are very large areas, so I couldn't help you without knowing a more specific location. Some parts of Trastevere are an easy stroll from Piazza Navona, and others are nowhere near the center, or even anywhere near the tram. The same goes for the "Vatican area", which doesn't even have a standard boundary.

Also, hotels and other lodgings tend to stretch the boundaries of these neighborhoods. Many hotels that claim to be in Trastevere are well outside its boundaries, and as for the Vatican, anything on the far side of the Tiber that can't possibly be described as Trastevere may be called "Vatican area". I suggest that when considering a hotel, you put the address in Google maps and then ask walking directions to Piazza Navona. If it's more than a 20 minute's walk, request public transportation directions. (For public transportation, make sure you specify a time of day; the default is "leaving now", which may be 2AM).
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 02:58 AM

Giving an answer to your question is not easy. In my opinion, I am from Rome, the 3 first sites to visit in Rome are the Appian Way, St. John Lateran (along with the Holy Stairs and Santa Croce in Gerusalemme) and Porta Maggiore.. All those are on the east, soth-east side, so opposite to the Vatican and to Trastevere. In any case there are so many things to see that you can define your plan on the basis of the area where you select to stay. A mall tip: ffor the best food, stay away from the touristic areas.