Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where to stay in rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-rome-212739/)

heather Dec 5th, 2001 05:45 AM

where to stay in rome?

i am going to rome for new year's.<BR>can anyone recommend a good hotel in rome? I want to be close to historical things, but good restaurants/bars too...thanks!

elaine Dec 5th, 2001 05:56 AM

heather<BR>what do you want to spend?

heather Dec 5th, 2001 06:09 AM

Hi elaine.<BR><BR>between $100 and $200 a night i guess.

elaine Dec 5th, 2001 06:16 AM

Hi<BR>A couple of months ago I stayed at the much-praised Hotel Santa Chiara.<BR>Via Santa Chiara 21, about 1 1/2 blocks from the Pantheon, 10 minutes from Piazza Navona. Perfect little hotel as far as I'm concerned. My bathroom was larger than I would have expected, although the shower stall was only slightly larger than a coffin. My single room was pretty small, but I have stayed in Paris, for example, in "double" rooms that were no larger than this one. There was a closet, a room safe, a small luggage rack, plenty of light, tv with cable. No drawer space so I basically lived out of my suitcase. I had asked for a quiet room and mine faced a quiet courtyard. I would guess that front-facing rooms could be disturbed by motorcycle traffic. Very good buffet breakfast with good coffee, hot milk, various forms of bread and delicious pastry, plus American dry cereals, fruit, cold meats, cheeses, yogurt.<BR>If I had one hesitation it would only be that the Santa Chiara isn't very close to a metro stop, but many places in Rome aren't.<BR>I have a file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

heather Dec 5th, 2001 06:30 AM

does anyone have anything to sy about ans of the following hotels:<BR><BR>albergo del sole al biscione<BR>smeraldo<BR>richmond<BR>hotel giubielo<BR>hotel gambrinus

curt Dec 6th, 2001 05:47 AM

For a great hotel, with superb rooms, good service, excellent breakfast buffet, and good location I would suggest the Hotel Rex (4 star) on via Torino. Hotel is close to main train station but far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle, several good eating places in area, and it is close to all the major sites. The rooms are large, well done with nice fabrics, baths are marble and tile, overall very nice. They have a web site if you search for them.

rsd Dec 6th, 2001 11:44 AM

Recommend Hotel San Carlo ***<BR>Via Delle Carrozze, 92-93<BR>Piazza di Spagna<BR>01139-066784548 email:[email protected]<BR>Great location near the Spanish Steps, and a great restaurant across the street (sorry can't remember the name right off). We went to the restaurant first, that's how we came to know the hotel.<BR>

GAC Dec 6th, 2001 12:16 PM

I stayed at the two-star Hotel Smeraldo in Rome and can recommend it for is location and relatively inexpensive rooms. Located on an alleyway (very clean) near Via dei Chiavari, two blocks south of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. From Termini Station, take the no. 64 bus and get off in front of the Church of S. Andrea della Valle (Tosca's church), then walk down Via dei Chaivari to the intersection of Vicolo dei Chiodaroli. Singles and Doubles available, most with a small private bath. Also, very clean public baths on each floor. Some noise from the street creeps into the rooms. Many cafes, restaurants and food shops nearby. Within walking distance of Piazza Navona, Piazza del Pantheon, Piazza del Campo, and and Piazza Farnese. This is definitely a budget hotel, so don't expect anything more than the basics.

Rex Dec 6th, 2001 02:56 PM

Normally, I wouldn't be very knowledgeable about single room rates in Rome, but I did stay (single) at<BR><BR>Hotel San Silvestro<BR>Via del Gambero 3<BR>00187 Roma (Rome), Italy<BR>Telephone: (011) 39-06-679-4169<BR>Fax: (011) 39-06-679-1105<BR>Email: [email protected]<BR><BR>this past September, and I would rate it satisfactory (actually my room was pathetically small, but I was only staying one night - - I think that others were better than mine).<BR><BR>There have been conflicting reports on the Gambrinus - - more negative than positive - - though a recent one defended the place. I still do not consider it a great location for the average tourist visit to Rome.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

David Abdullah Dec 6th, 2001 03:25 PM

I am just back from Rome and stayed at Le Forte Hotel on via Margutta near the spanish steps. The hotel was 220,000L/night(100.00). The room was small but very modern with a small bath/shower and light breakfast. The location is superb in that the metro is nearby ready to whisk you to the vatican or the train station and the american express office is there also for train tickets or euros. Also, it is a short walk to the gallery Borghese(reservations) which is a must and to La Terrazza dell 'Eden for the most wonderful meal and view of Rome. The Piazza Navona area is an easy walk but has no metro which to me makes it less desirable for hotel. Good luck and have a great time.

Beth Dec 7th, 2001 05:48 AM

Just got back from a trip in November. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but we liked 4-star Hotel Genio very much. It is located just outside the north entrance to Piazza Navona, which was always an entertaining place to be. All other major sites were within very easy walking distance. The Hotel was lovely, our room was great - including a very modern and clean private bathroom. An excellent buffet breakfast was included. Check their special rates. My husband and I paid 270,000 lire ($125) for a double. They are part of the Leonardi chain (http://www.travel.it/roma/ianr/index.htm) that also offers three star hotels which might be even cheaper. If they are run as well as the Genio, I would expect them to all be quite good.<BR><BR>Tel. +39-06-86800116 r.a<BR>Fax +39-06-86800124<BR>E.Mail: [email protected]<BR>Website: http://www.travel.it/roma/genio/genio.html

perth Dec 7th, 2001 08:29 AM

Hi heather,<BR>I've been at Hotel gambrinus at the beginning of November and it was very nice for a three stars.I got a good price (about $95)thanks to an italian operator.I met them in Florence.<BR>e-mail: [email protected] (catherina)

Lisa Dec 7th, 2001 09:36 AM

Heather-<BR>E-mail me, I may be cancelling a reservation at a hotel near Piazza Navona over the New Year period. If you are having problems finding a place with vacancies, this might be a good idea for you.