Where to stay in Paris --not a newbie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Paris mid-October for a week. We have visited 6 or 7 times before, staying once in the ST. Germain neighborhood, once in the 6th, and several times in the 16th.(Passy).

We are very comfortable with public transportation, using buses, Metro, and RER as needed.

My must-do list this time includes a day trip to visit Vaux le Vicomte and Chateau Fontainebleau, and a day visit to Versailles(we've only visited the gardens).

We are arriving mid-afternoon on a Sunday, departing the next Sunday, so we really only have 6 full days. The four days we have left beyond our day trips will be a mix of museums and visiting interesting neighborhoods and fresh markets.(No flea market-type)

We are thinking of staying in the Marais, but I'm looking for some input on specific areas that will provide a good home base for our explorations. We prefer to stay in an apartment rather than hotel, but that will need more research once I've settled on an area. I've been reading about the apt rental crackdown, so I'll be open to suggestions for agencies.

We will appreciate ideas for a specific area, as well as ideas for off-the-beaten path Paris explorations.
Thanks in advance,
Barb
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM

How about the 10th?

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:34 PM

We've stayed many times in the 17th - will return in October and May - easy access to the Metro - the wonderful covered market - the lovely Park Batignolles - a nice neighborhood feeling - would not stay anywhere else!
I know there is apparently an apt rental crackdown, but we continue to go with VRBO and RentParisNow.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:44 PM

If you've been there so many times, haven't you visited other neighborhoods and have an idea what you like? I wouldn't stay some place I had no idea of what it was. For example, I don't particularly like the Marais and wouldn't stay ther ebut you obviously do and so do a lot of other Fodorites from what I've read.

I like Montparnasse and the St Georges metro area of the 9th, the 15th around rue St Charles/EMile Zola, and the 5th near Gobelins/Mouffetard.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:47 PM

oh, sorry, I think from reading your OP again you want a specific area in the Marais to stay? well, if I had to stay there, it would NOT be around place des Vosges and St Paul or west of there near rue de Rivoli, that's all I can say. I'd probably stay around rue de Bretagne/square du Temple, if that's even considered the Marais.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Look for something near Place de la République.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in the 11th and enjoyed that area.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 01:14 PM

Agree with Kerouac. We stayed just off the Pl. and had a great time with the area. AND so well served by bus and Metro. Close enough to the Marais--better transportation services.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 08:26 PM

If you are open to something outside the Marais, we rented an apt from Paris Perfect on rue des Bernardins a year or so ago. It was in the 5th just across the Seine from Notre Dame, so great to hop over to Isle St Louis and the Marais from there.

We loved the market at Blvd St Germain/Maubert Mutualite. There is a row of permanent shops with a wonderful cheese shop. The bakery was good and there is an Eric Keyser on the street behind these shops. I think it is Tues/Thurs/Sat for the fruit/vegetable vendors....there was a good olive vendor.

The Cluny Museum, Pantheon and Arab World Institute are close by and the St Germain area is an easy walk or Metro ride.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 09:29 PM

I was going to suggest somewhere near the organic market, the Marche des Enfants Rouge which isn't far from Place de la République.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:38 PM

Read up on the history of Vaux before going. Standing on the terrace and looking over the gardens, one can imagine the incredible events that took place there, the high point of Fouquet's life with the lavish opening of his chateau, prior to his being thrown in prison.

https://bonjourparis.com/archives/va...-of-a-chateau/

Check to see if they still have a free shuttle from the Melun station on weekends.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 12:00 AM

I would definitely avoid the area around Square du Temple. There is a huge noise problem at night and the neighbors are raising hell about it.

Somewhere off Republique would be a good idea, but it depends on the actual street address, since there are tons of bars and other nuisances around here. Some people think this area is pretty dingy and gritty - if you like a spiffy neighborhood, this isn't it.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 03:57 AM

If you choose the République area, my poreference is on the north side, closer to the Canal St Martin. The area is a bit scruffy as manouche says, but I find it scruffy in a nice way.

The Bastille area is also a good choice, esp a bit to the east and north (but not too close to Gard de Lyon). A good feature of this area is the access to the Promenade Plantée For more info on that, see kerouac's terrific report from a few years back -- http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ade-plante.cfm .

Two other neighborhoods that are good for a week's stay are in the rue d'Alésia area in the 14th and in the Belleville area (19th/20th). Great neighborhoods, but unfortunately for the OP they aren't terribly convenient as a base for day trips.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 04:25 AM

My choices would be in the upper 3rd, or 11th arrondissements. You could easily spend half of your time just exploring these neighborhoods.