Where to stay in Paris?

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Ilene H.

Where to stay in Paris?

We would like a hotel in a central location in Paris that is charming, yet with modern conveniences for about U.S.$125 - $150 per night. Can you suggest one you have enjoyed? Do you prefer to stay on the Right Bank or Left Bank?

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:14 AM
elaine

Hi
In your price range you'll have much more to choose from on the left bank, particularly in the 5th, 6th, and 7th.
By modern conveniences, you mean
private bath or shower, and elevator?
If you do a search here on Paris hotels, you will find many past suggestions, and the book "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" is also a valuable resource. You can also look for hotels at websites like
www.paris.org, among many others.
I also have a file on Paris which includes sightseeing and many hotel suggestions from this forum; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Shane

Go to www.hotelboulevard.com. You can do a search on hotels in Paris at this site. It's great!! It rates the hotels based on feedback from people that have stayed there. I used the web page myself before I went to Paris this summer and I stayed at Hotel Chaplain Rive Gauche. Small rooms, very clean, great hospitality... it is in the 6th arrondissement. Good luck.

Dec 5th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Bill

Why do you want to spend that much? You can get a perfectly charming hotel, 2 star, with lift, private bathroom, decent sized room, etc, for much less. We just returned from Paris and stayed at the Grand Hotel Leveque in the 7th, about 3-4 blocks from Eiffel tower and paid 400 francs a night (well less than $60 at today's exchange rates). While there we investigated other 2 star hotels in same area and most were in this range. Prices are good in Paris right now. You should get a pretty plush joint for the amount you are talking about. Another good choice in same price range (2 star again) is the Hotel Jean D'Arc in the Marais area.

Dec 5th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Lisa

Hi Irene,

I agree with Bill, who recommended the Hotel Grand Leveque in the 7th (above the rue Cler market). There's another good one kitty-corner - but I can't remember the name. I hesitate to mention these two because I'd like them to remain relatively unknown
A friend who can afford more than me has regularly stayed at the Solferino (across the street from the Musee D'Orsay) - but it would still be in your price range. Have fun!

Dec 5th, 2000, 03:20 PM
dena

I stayed in Hotel LeLoiret which is just a few minutes from the Louvre in the 1st. Small rooms but very nice and nice bathrooms. I paid about $70 for a single. I would go there again.

Dec 5th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Kathy

The hotel Champ-du-Mars is very nice, its near the Rue Cler we stayed there this pas Jan for about 450.00 Fr about 70.00 US?? we had a small room but it was nice and had a nice bathroom and it was quiet. They have a website.

Dec 5th, 2000, 07:19 PM
paul

Hotel Muguet is a favorite with many people who respond in this forum. My wife and I stayed there and found it to be charming. For more information about this hotel, try doing a search for prior forum posts.

Dec 6th, 2000, 02:48 AM
Jane

Hi Ilene,

My family and I stayed recently at Hotel de la Motte Piquet, again in the rue Cler area. Very nice people, a lift, decent sized rooms, very reasonable and great location (less than a block from a metro station and 3 blocks from Eiffel Tower). Have fun.

Dec 8th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Ilene H.

Thanks for your help.