Where to stay in Paris

Oct 14th, 2000, 07:44 PM
Jenny

Where to stay in Paris

My family (four of us) are thinking of going to Paris this summer. What are some good hotels/areas reasonably (walking distance) close to some of the major attractions, good food, and good atmosphere, and reasonably priced?

Also, for a side trip to Normandy, do we need to spend a night to do it right? If so, I would greatly appreciate any tips on where to stay in Caen or Rouen.

Oct 15th, 2000, 05:46 AM
Craig

Jenny,
Please use the archive of answers on this question for a start. I could give you some advice, but there is a dearth of info at your fingertips. Search on paris first and enjoy a good read. You could modify the search to paris stay, paris hotel or paris lodgings or other variants. I can assure you you'll get the best advice this way.

After that, the best course of action is to post something a little more specific -- "cheap place in the 7th", "What do you think of theses hotels: X, Y, Z..." These will give you the detailed responses that will help most in your trip planning.

Feel free to email me direct if you'd like to as well.

Regards,
Craig

Oct 15th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Christina

For the day trips, it depends on your intentions which I'm not clear on--many people really mean they want to take a tour of D-Day beaches when they say Normandy, which can be done in a day, but perhaps only easily if you take an organized day bus tour. Rouen, however, is a nice day trip in itself and is very close to Paris so you do not need to stay overnight. The train trip is Rouen takes only a little over an hour from Paris and there are many trains all day. You can also see Caen alone in a day trip by train without staying overnight--it's not as quick as Rouen and train service may be more limited, but the train takes about 2 hrs to Caen and the town is small enough (as is Rouen) that you can see it without a car. YOu couldn't do both of these in one day, of course, but you couldn't any other way, either. There are hundreds of good hotels in Paris so it would help if you were more specific as to your needs. Specifically, it makes a big difference if you need one for four adults or two adults plus two kids, and if kids, what are their ages; also, what is your definition of reasonbly priced. In general, it would be most convenient to stay in the central areas of Paris, arrondisements 4-7, or 16/17 close to the Arc would all be fine for your needs, I think. The 1st and 8th are close enough but more expensive areas. It would be best if you read some overview in a guidebook or something of the various areas so you can get a feeling for what might appeal to you to narrow it down.

Oct 16th, 2000, 05:03 AM
elaine

Hi Jenny
You need to be a bit more specific on what you want to spend on lodgings and food, as "reasonable" is pretty personal.
Craig is right, if you do a search on this forum for Paris, you will get enought information for several guidebooks.
To add to it, I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Oct 16th, 2000, 05:04 PM
boris

Craig

Im sure you meant depth of information Not dearth