Where to stay in paris

Search

Where to stay in paris

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in paris

Our family of 4 (including a 20yr old daughter and a 19yr old son) will be vacationing in Paris during August. we'll only be there 4 days....is it better to stay in section 1 on the right bank or section 6 in St. Germain, on the left bank? I know most of the tourist sights are in 1, but is it going to be dead at night (restaurants) because most of the Europeans vacation during the month of August? Likewise for section 6.

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM

It won't be "dead." You probably won't even notice any difference, unless you have certain very specific restaurants you want to eat at that happen to be owned by restaurateurs who take the typical August vacation.

It's not true, either, that "most of the tourist sights are in 1" (I assume you mean the 1ère arrondissement). They're scattered all over Paris. And since the 1ère arr. is the business center of Paris, there, in particular, you're unlikely to find anything shut down. Same with the 6ème.

Where you stay is up to you. There are plenty of dévotés of the 5ème, 4ème, and 7ème also.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM

If most of YOUR sightseeing will be in the 1st arrondissement then you should stay there. I find I hardly spend any time there but it depends on what you want to see.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate your input. So the nightlife for young adults (if my kids want to go by themselves to a bar) is also available and safe in both arrondissements?
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM

That isn't a cozy residential area, so even if all locals left Paris, all the tourists would still be in the restaurants. The only major tourist site in 1 is the Louvre, and I guess the Tuileries gardens next to it. Part of the island is in 1, but not Notre Dame, and the island is in the middle, anyway so it doesn't matter that much. If you plan to walk to everything, 1 could be a good idea if you only plan to see things there and the islands. It will be fine, a lot of people like staying there for a few days, it can be convenient.

Actually, I don't think most of the tourists are in 1 at all, at least not noticeably. St Germain is full of tourists.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Actually, the two hotels we are deciding between are the Hotel La Perle in the 6th arrondissement and the Royal St. Honore in the 1st arrondissement. Any comments on these places?
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM

The 1st includes several museums: Louvre, Orangerie, Jeu de Paume, Decorative Arts, Posters, and the Conciergerie and Palais Royal gardens.

I can't answer for young people's clubs as I haven't been young in decades but the 6th is full, full, full of students and young people; hanging out in cafes and the large movie theatre on blvd St-Germain. It's a very safe area. I have walked around there many times by myself late at night. It's always teeming with activity.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I just read that posting by that guy who hated Paris...I'm still looking forward to our trip.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I doubt your kids would enjoy staying in the 1ère all that much. My kids are your age, and when they're in Paris they hardly ever set foot there. For nightlife, they go to the 5ème, 6ème, and 4ème. And yes, it's perfectly safe - I'd just tell them to stay away from Châtelet métro and the area around it late at night.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Is the Chatelet metro stop in 6 arrondissement?
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM

No, it's in the 1ère.