Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where to stay in Normandy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-normandy-273701/)

Marcia Nov 16th, 2002 07:42 PM

where to stay in Normandy?

We will be in France at the end of December and hopr to visit the Normandy area. Where are the best places to stay? Hotel recommendations?

Rex Nov 16th, 2002 07:56 PM

Here are two answers at opposite ends of the Normandy coastline; the first is technically in Brittany, and I have never been there personally - - but it is one of the classiest choices you could make - - if you are into that.<BR><BR>http://www.maisons-de-bricourt.com/<BR><BR>And this place is very, very cool - - but there are closer locations, if it is the sites of the Battle of Normandy and D-Day invasion you are seeking:<BR><BR>http://www.proximedia.com/local/france/m/metsetvins/produit3.htm<BR><BR>You will undoubtedly get various opinions on choices in Bayeux, Caen and Arromanches here also, just to name a few. I have stayed in Arromanches at Hotel Chanteclair. Not bad. Not great.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Kara Nov 16th, 2002 09:23 PM

My husband and I took our honeymoon in Normandy in April, and we really enjoyed staying in Honfleur -- I believe our hotel was Hotel Le Ecrin. The small town in charming as was this old but lovely hotel.

xxx Nov 17th, 2002 04:03 AM

If Etretat is in Normandy (believe so), you will love it; it's a small village on the coast, kind of artsy; plus there is a famous hole-in-rock cliff that juts out into the Channel.<BR><BR>

amy Nov 17th, 2002 04:39 AM

Marcia, What are you planning to do? Mont St Michel? D-Day Beaches? Bayeux Tapestry? I think that will determine the best towns for you and therefore the best hotel recs.

Linda Nov 17th, 2002 06:49 AM

My son and I are staying in Bayeux next June; it's close to the DDay beaches and we're also going for the opening of the Juno Beach Centre June 6. We're staying at Hotel D'Argouges; it gets good recommendations on this board and in travel books, they were prompt to reply and have been most courteous. The hotel looks charming and offers free parking. Rates were 80Euros/night for a twin, breakfast included.

Mike Nov 17th, 2002 07:19 AM

Etretat is a lovely place to visit as is the village a little North of it that makes the B&amp;B liqueor, but I believe it is too far out of the way if your intention is to visit D-Day sites in Normandy. Caen would be a nice town to stay. As for a nice hotel, I would do a google search.

John Nov 17th, 2002 09:06 AM

Linda<BR>Stayed at hotel d&quot;argouges last sept. Very charming right up to the fat cat that hangs around. The managers M/M Ropartz are extremely courteous and likeable. I;m sure you will enjoy your stay.<BR>Bon voyage

John Nov 17th, 2002 09:10 AM

Oops Guess this should have been posted to Marcia. Email for hotel d&quot;argouges is<BR>d'[email protected]<BR>Hotel is located downtown Bayeux but back from any traffic noise etc.

Jody Nov 17th, 2002 09:20 AM

we stayed south of Caen and had no trouble visiting from Honfleur to Mont st Michel ,Cancale , etc. The only problem you might encounter is closures..Even at the end of October some places were closed for the season. You might want to take that into account when booking your hotel.

Lori Nov 18th, 2002 06:30 PM

Ditto Rex's recommendation on the Maison de Bricourt. We stayed at Chateaux Richeux right on the Bay of Mont St Michel and it was wonderful. We easily day tripped to Mont St Michel and Cancale, as well as some of the local scenery. Oliver Roellinger also owns a restaurant in Cancale by the same name, although the bistro at the Chateaux is no slouch. I was really impressed by the sommelier there who turned us on to Chateau Doisy Daene Bordeaux Blanc Sec as a pairing for our Fruits de Mer. Watching the tides from your room at the Chateaux is an inspiring experience.<BR><BR>Although this is quite the drive from the D-day beaches, it's worth it.

mimi taylor Nov 18th, 2002 06:42 PM

We stayed at a beautiful place high on the outskirts of town, Honfleur.<BR>excellant foodat the Ferme St Simon. However I dont know if they are open in December. Alot of places close in November.

up Nov 19th, 2002 09:18 AM

topping<BR>

Sue Nov 19th, 2002 03:03 PM

A few months ago someone wrote in with rave reviews for a little hotel in St.Aubin-Sur-Mer, Le Clos Normand. Check it out at www.closnormandhotel.com<BR>It sounds homey and charming, if not luxurious.

Julie Nov 25th, 2002 05:06 PM

Just returned from Paris/Normandy. We had a quick trip to Normandy and actually spent the night in Mont St. Michel based on reccs from this board. I HIGHLY recommend a trip to this lovely pseudo-island, although from Utah Beach/Pont d'Hoc it was a 2 hour drive, which we didn't begin until sundown. Didn't regret the drive for a moment, just unexpected. We arrived at 8pm and when we walked around the streets/ramparts after dinner we saw only 3 other people (and 5 cats!). Very magical, a very memorable stay. If you do go, do try to stay on Mont St. Michel and not the nearby towns.

Julie Nov 26th, 2002 04:19 AM

I third the recommendation for Le Richeux which is part of the Chateau de Bricourt group, though technically I believe both it and the nearby Cancale are in Brittany rather than Normandy. I love Honfleur but do not recommend the Manoir Butin where we stayed while there most recently, too expensive for what you get. While Ferme St. Simeon may be a better value it is even pricier. Check out some of the smaller hotels in town there. We found Etretat crawling with tourists though you may not have that problem in December and it is very cute, so may be worthy of a stay. Normandy is lovely. Enjoy.

andy Nov 26th, 2002 09:27 AM

I think you will really enjoy Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux. Very nice rooms,<BR>nice hosts, right in center of town and<BR>withing walking distance of Tapestry,Cathedral, etc. Nice resatuarants, etc. My wife and I and another couple stayed there in July ...