Where to stay in Nice

Search

Where to stay in Nice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Nice

What is a good location to stay while in Nice ? During our stay, we would like to visit St. Tropez and Monte Carlo. we haven't finalized what else we would like to do, but are trying to figure out where to stay in Nice.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Hotel Negresco is palatial, I stayed there last year, you'll love it.

In St Trop, I popped into Le Byblos, it's supposedly the place to stay there, I wasn't so impressed.

Monte Carlo is like Birmingham, quite frankly I wouldn't bother with it.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:29 PM

hawaiihoneymoon,

What is your budget and when are you going?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM

We stayed in the Hotel West End...nice place with a great location.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hi,
We stayed at the Windsor and loved it. Nice size rooms, great public rooms, a lovely court yard with a pool, and close to the beach. It was 100Euros a night last summer. We had a car and drove to all the places you memtioned. Have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Here's a second for Hotel Windsor Nice. Rooms with a quirky attitude, great location, very nice garden with bar/restaurant service, pool in the garden and nice lobby bar. Very reasonable. Easy to walk to beach and everywhere else. Would definitely stay there again!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM

What is your budget? Do you want to be near the beach and/or have a room overlooking the Mediterranean? How close to you want to be to Vieux Nice?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi - We will be there in mid-September and our budget is something in the 100 euros range - give or take.

Yes, we want something close to the beach with nice views. Well, basicaly, I wanted to know what area to stay in in terms of being in the center of it all. I tried doing some searches on fodors and inline and haven't been able to find much about things to do in Nice. Since we are not staying very long - only 2 days - we want to be close to the main site-seeing places as well as transportation for a quick day trip. What else is there to do and see in this time frame. And what hotels do you all recommend?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:53 AM

The main sightseeing in Nice is around Vieux Nice and the Cours Saléya; you'd want about a day for that. The it depends on what interests you: museums (there are four fine ones); Roman ruins; lovely old churches; the beach...you really need to have a look at a guidebook to sort out what you'd like to see. You could also have a look at the Nice tourist site.

A hotel with sea views won't be easy to find in your price range, but you could try several of the discount sites; just Google on Hotels in Nice and see what turns up.

BTW, the Nice beach is beautiful, but it's not sand--instead you get rough pebbles.

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi - yeah we don't mind about the pebble beaches - we would rather site see than lay on the beach anyway.

Can you tell me - where exactly are Vieux Nice and the Cours Saléya? I was looking at a map of nice but wasn't able to find it. Where are these location with respect to the shore/beaches part? I am familiar with the Le Chateau as well.

Also - what are the "Must-Do" while in Nice?
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:59 AM

The Cours Saléya is just behind the eastern end of the Promenade des Anglais, very near the Château. That's a good spot to visit, as you can have a fine view to both east and west.

As for other must-dos, it's difficult to say without knowing what interests you. that's why I suggest a guidebook so you can see the many possibilities for sightseeing in the Nice vicinity.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I found it - this is actually where we were looking into staying. So how far is this from the train station Nice Ville as well as the Nice Airport? Would you recommend staying somewhere closer to central nice - hence saving money on the taxi fares. Or, would you say that being a small city, it wouldn't be much and therefore we should take advantage of sea front rooms? I don't have a judgement of the size of the city which is why I am asking. Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM

ttt
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:32 PM

We stayed at the Negresco 35 years ago on a business expense. we will stay at the Hotel Massina on our next cruise in April. Rates are about 140 - 175 Euros. It is next to the old city and the restaurants and night life . The beach is pebbly and the hotels on Blvd. Des Anglais are higher priced with an ocean view. (If you want to spend all of the time gazing at the ocean. It's black at night !)
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM

When we were in Nice in September the entire Place Masséna was torn up--some sort of construction project was going on. From what we could see it appears that the area will be a mess--and probably noisy--for some time yet.