Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in London for 10th wedding anniversary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Cassandra

Please help!! We are going to London (first time to Europe) Feb. 4-12. Want to stay in a nice hotel (but not too touristy). Cost is not the main consideration. However, since we ARE novice tourists, suggestions re: location would be GREAT! Thank you!!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Lindsey

Hi Cassandra - I would recommend the Covent Garden Hotel, or it's sister establishment, the Charlotte Street Hotel, as good bets. They're both in great locations, and have the right combination of understated luxury and great facilities. Neither have appeared to be too 'touristy' when I have been there, they're often the choice for discerning celebrities so you might catch a star! Website for both is http://www.firmdale.com/

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:56 AM
linda

Cassandra, Lindsey has recommended two great hotels. I have seen the Charlotte Street Hotel and stayed at the Covent Garden Hotel. They are both wonderful.. Another great option, but a little less expensive, is the Number Sixteen Hotel in South Kensington. I love it and as it happens, it was just purchased by the same group that owns the Covent Garden and the Charlotte Street. The purchase would only be a positive thing in my opinion-gilding the lily. I love the ambience and location of Number Sixteen. Remember that winter rates are usually offered at all three hotels, do not forget to inquire. Also ask if tax and breakfast are included-VAT is 17.5%. <BR><BR>Let us know the hotel you finally pick, especially if it is one not mentioned!<BR><BR>linda

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 04:32 AM
kate

Another endorsement for Lindsay and Linda's choices - smart, discreet, pamper hotels all of them. Gret locations too.<BR><BR>Kate<BR>London

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Jeanne

I stayed at the recently opened Renaissance Chancery Court in Holborn, London recently (part of Mariott group). <BR><BR>It is in a refurbished 1930s building which has appeared in a number of films. It is really beautiful, with great staff and is IMO an excellent hotel all round. I could not praise it highly enough. A double room is approx $150 which is lower than many hotels of its calibre in London, and we got a discount via the Marriott website.<BR><BR>I recommend you look into it. The Spanish concierge made our stay hassle-free.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:33 AM
s.fowler

The Carlotte Street Hotel looks lovely -- we had a drink in their bar last June. The whole street is full of nice and interesting restaurants and there's a pub on a corner near the hotel which spills out into the street in the summer evenings...<BR><BR>Another suggestion -- less central, but very lovely -- is The Colonnade Town House Hotel. It's steps from the Warwick tube stop in the Maida Vale [or "Little Venice" area.] Warwick station is in zone 2 [just barely], but the neighborhood itself is charming and full of delightful good restaurants. Here's some pics I took of the area in 2000. http://www.geocities.com/travelswith...maida-vale.htm Here's one website with some information: http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com...eTownHouse.htm

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:36 AM
s.fowler

Some information about "Little Venice" -- http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com...VeniceInfo.htm

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
GGinSF

Consider The Dukes Hotel in St James's. A smaller luxury hotel that has London charm. Web site is:<BR><BR>http://www.dukeshotel.co.uk/<BR><BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Cassandra

Thanks so much for all the info. I am going to check these out - will let you know. Also, was considering going down to Paris for a couple of days...(2) things: Better to take the Channel Tunnel for the ride through the countryside vs. fly? and where to stay? I feel completely ignorant since my husband just sprung the surprise on me and now I am frantic for information. All your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
ttt

Brought some info up on the Euro Star for you.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Pat

Hi Cassandra,<BR>If cost is not the main consideration I would look at The Ritz, the Dorchester, the Connaugt or Browns. All are fabulous and would be wonderful to celebrate a 10th anniversary.<BR>I would do the Eurostar to Paris (which I have done). It goes from Waterloo Station to Gare Nord in 3 hours. It is far easier, center city to center city, than going by plane.<BR>Have a great time<BR>Cheers,<BR>Pat

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Cassandra

Thanks, Pat! Is there a decent opportunity for admiring the countryside when you take the Channel Tunnel train, or is it too fast?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Scott K

If price not a consideration I would have to say the Lanesborough. Fabulous service and the tube stop is literally at the front door (well you have to go down the stairs)<BR>Otherwise Dukes is very nice too and less expensive

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Pat

Hi Cassandra,<BR>The Eurostar goes slower through England and really picks up spees when you come out on the French side. At that point you are doing 186MPH. The countryside that you go through in both countries is nothing spectacular, nor is it awful, its just average. But, you can look out and see what you're passing. <BR>Also, if I may suggest a great restaurant I would go to Gordon Ramsey's. He has his own website. If you go for lunch (Mon-Fri) it is treendously less expensive than dinner. They have a prix fix lunch for around 30GBP. I know it sounds like a lot, but its worth it and a lot less than dinner.<BR>Have fun<BR>Cheers,<BR>Pat

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Barb

Just got back from London and stayed at the Park Lane Hotel which was recently purchased by Sheraton. The rooms were large for London and the bathrooms were a decent size. I was really impressed and the location is within walking distance from Harrod's and all the great shopping.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Cassandra

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Someone from work suggested the Chelsea Green? hotel. Has anyone stayed there and how was it? Also, any suggestions for the Paris hotel? I read the travel experiences of Stephanie and now am getting really excited!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Sheila

Message to S. Fowler: How long does it take to get to central London from the Maida Vale tube stop. We are considering a timeshare exchange next to that tube stop but I was worried that it is too far from central London. The address is 120 Maida Vale. Thanks for any advice. The name of hotel is Carlton Court.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
kate

Well of course central London is a bit vague, but Maida Vale tube to Oxford Circus about 15/20 mins, Covent Garden about 30/35 ish.<BR><BR>Maida Vale also is walking distance for Little Venice and Abbey Road if you're into the Beatles, and is a very nice residential area in its own right with nice bars/pubs/restaurants. It's also a short bus ride to Notting Hill.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Matt

I am also interested in knowing if anyone has anything to say re: Chelsea Green Hotel that Cassandra mentioned. Any comments? I think it used to be called Parc Consul?

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Cassandra

Hello again...Found a cute hotel online called Twenty Nevern Square...they have really romantic rooms and prices aren't bad...Has anyone had any experience with this hotel?? I have (tentative) reservations with the Beaufort (husband's choice until I make up my mind). Does anyone have any input on that one as well? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -