Where to stay in London

Search

Where to stay in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in London

What is a good hotel location in London? Want to stay in a location that's near the sights.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Someone else is gonna say--Budget? Dates? Age/interests/number of travlers?

There is no "a" location to be near "the sights." London is huge and the "typical" sights are spread all over.

Staying near the "center" in Zone 1 of the public transport system will be the most convenient--and probably the most expensive. Public transport is ubiquitous. And necessary.

A bit (or lot) more info from you will help the Forum help you better.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Try this to try and figure out what you might want.

http://www.venere.com/uk/london/ That's 700 hotels to choose from.

London is about the most expensive hotel city I've ever stayed in.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ditto what texasbookworm said . . .
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Also check out www.londontown.com

You want somewhere in zone 1.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM

As mentioned above, London Hotels are extremely expensive. The most important factor for me in picking one is how near it is to a Tube Station. The Underground is very easy to use and will get you to all the sights you want to see.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 02:48 AM

There budget chains as well, try premier inn, just make sure you select a location in zone 1 and not way out of centre...it's a false economy to pay less for a crap location because you will spend time and money commuting everyday!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

We will have 2 adults and 2 kids in our traveling party. Our budget is probably in the $200 - $250 range. Ideally, we would like to stay in a safe neighborhood, near the tube, and potentially near the sights.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Try the Morgan hotel on Bloomsbury St. The location can't be beat-- the back of the hotel abuts against the British Museum, you can walk to the Theatre district and it is convenient to the Totenham Court road tube station. We've stayed there 5 or 6 times. It's not fancy, and the quality of the rooms varies some, but the English breakfast is good and filing enough for us to usually skip lunch. I think that a room is about 130 pounds. I think that they have some "suites" that sleep more people that aren't all that expensive.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Ideally, we would like to stay in a safe neighborhood, near the tube, and potentially near the sights.</i>"

The sights are spread over a HUGE area. As mentioned above - no place is near 'the' sights.

Most anyplace w/i Underground zone 1 will be w/i a reasonable walk of a tube station and bus stops, so that isn't an issue.

How old are the kids? Makes a difference. If young children (15 yo or younger), then chains like the Premier Inns will have family rooms for all four of you. But if they are older teenagers, you need a quad (fairly rare but they do exist) or two rooms. Your budget is approx £125-£160 a night.

The Premier Inn County Hall is in a terrific location and will probably fit w/i your budget - depending on your dates. But it is extremely popular and books up.

However, for a family of 4, renting a flat is usually a much better bargain. How long are you in London and when?
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM

<<We will have 2 adults and 2 kids in our traveling party. Our budget is probably in the $200 - $250 range. Ideally, we would like to stay in a safe neighborhood, near the tube, and potentially near the sights.

Thanks.>>

To the OP, please read and comprehend these two facts: LONDON IS THE LARGEST CITY IN WESTERN EUROPE - NEARLY THE SIZE OF NEW YORK - AND NO OTHER CITY WEST OF THE RUSSIA-POLAND BORDER IS CLOSE.

LONDON HAS THE LARGEST METRO/SUBWAY/UNDERGROUND SYSTEM IN THE WESTERN WORLD.

From these two facts come these conclusions that everyone who has answered in this thread has mentioned and which you have dutifully ignored: (1) There is NO hotel or accommodation that will be "near the sites" because "the sites" are all over London and its surrounding areas (Hampton Court, Windsor) and this is true in Central London because the distance from the Tower to Hyde Park is not readily walkable; (2) just about anyplace that you stay in Central London (zone 1 for Tube and bus) will be near a Tube station and there are SO MANY hotels that are close to Tube stations that your request is not answerable.

So do the following: (a) go to Londontown.com and check out the hotel map to see where you may want to stay or just to check out the map to see where "the sites" are; (b) think about an apartment (flat) rental so that you can actually have a livable situation instead of jamming four people into a smallish hotel room. You can find a decent apartment for your budget (closer to your higher end) more easily than you can find a comfortable hotel arrangement.

Bloomsbury and South Kensington are neighborhoods where you will most likely meet your budget requirement and have good access to "the sites." South Bank could also work as could Lambeth, depending upon the exact address. The City (financial district), Docklands, Canary Wharf are all far less convenient for tourists. Mayfair is far beyond your budget.