Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-london-915188/)

greasefire11 Dec 17th, 2011 02:18 PM

Where to stay in London?

Greetings All,
The advice I got from this forum for my trip to Dublin made my first trip out of the US AMAZING! So, I'm going back to the well!
I'm headed to London in early April over spring break for a few days. Where should I stay?
I'm looking to see sites and enjoy my time in London in a laid back way. I'd like to be within walking distance of major attractions. Being near a transportation hub is good to as I'm flying into Heathrow.
Cheers!

1) what neighborhood/locale?
2) Good mid-priced hotels?

janisj Dec 17th, 2011 02:32 PM

There are -- oh, maybe 2,000,000 threads answering this question. Maybe a slight exaggeration -but close.

'Mid price' could mean anything. What is your actual budget? What sort of property/ambiance do you want.

No single location is walking distance from more than a handful of sites. But almost <i>every</i> neighborhood has good transport links.

In general --from LHR, it is often best to stay along the Piccadilly tube line: South Kensington, Green Park, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury/Russell Square, etc. But 20 other areas are just about as good.

If you do a search you'll find a wealth of suggestions.

greasefire11 Dec 17th, 2011 02:40 PM

Thanks! My problem is I've never been there and don't know the neighborhoods/locales that Expedia is recommending.
I'm all honesty, walking to a lot of site plus access to public transport is huge for me! =-)
As for mid-priced, my early searches have led me to believe I don't know what mid-priced is either!

janisj Dec 17th, 2011 02:48 PM

"<i>I don't know what mid-priced is either!</i>"

If that's the case, then 'mid priced' doesn't mean anything really. What is your actual budget. How much do you want to pay?

"<i>I'm all honesty, walking to a lot of site plus access to public transport is huge for me!</i>"

Nearly every single neighborhood in central London (roughly w/i the boundaries of the Circle tube line) will be convenient for public transport. Those along the Piccadilly tube line are most convenient to Heathrow.

But w/o your budget no one can give useful suggestions.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Expedia recommendations.

greasefire11 Dec 17th, 2011 02:51 PM

I'm looking at $150-200 US per night. Sorry for my ignorance, my only other trip out of the US was Dublin, and that was a piece of cake to find a central hotel! =-)

Thanks everyone for helping to educate me!! =-)

greasefire11 Dec 17th, 2011 03:05 PM

My friends who have been there, just told me the Kennsington (?) area is good for tourists? Yea/nea?

janisj Dec 17th, 2011 03:21 PM

Kensington is very nice but it is not as convenient as <u>South</u> Kensington. Plus be careful about specific properties . . . Many that are actually in Earls Court call themselves 'Kensington'.

W/ that budget (you are talking approx £100-£125) I'd consider bidding priceline or Hotwire. You can get a nice 4 star place for about $110 or so plus tax/fees. But before using priceline, you'd want to study the bidding zones. There are really only 3 zones I'd bid.

If you don't want to use PL or Hotwire, then check out londontown.com Often some very good deals

elaine Dec 17th, 2011 06:40 PM

As a visitor, I agree with Janisj's recommendation of South Kensington. It's my favorite area to stay in, for transportation options, including a straight ride from Heathrow. Also lots of casual cafes and restaurants. But that said, your price range IS a challenge, unless you get lucky on Priceline.
Check out the "outer" Bloomsbury hotels. There are several simple but clean places on Gower St, such as the Arosfa (where I once stayed) and the Ridgemount. These hotels are really more B&Bs than full-service hotels, but the location is good. Rooms are small. There is not always if ever an elevator. There is a Goodge St tube stop, and a little farther away, Russell Square (also an easy ride from Heathrow.) Another very popular place is the Morgan, not far from there--I haven't stayed there but have hardly ever read a negative review.
Rooms facing the street in the places I mention are likely to be noisy--ask for rooms facing the rear.

avalon Dec 17th, 2011 06:45 PM

I agree with Janis SOuth Kensington has great transportation and you can walk to the V&A Harrods King's rd shops, Natural History Museums Kensington Palace. I use londontown almost exclusively. I have just booked Millenium Bailyes for 90 GBP a night, The Millenium Gloucester next door was 95 GBP. There are loads of shops and services nearby.This price is for March and April

mscleo Dec 17th, 2011 10:22 PM

Check out Premier Inn http://www.premierinn.com. I've seen good reviews on tripadvisor.com and they seem to be reasonably priced. They're also located in a variety of places around London. Just type in the word 'London' in the search box, and it will reveal all the locations in that area.

texasbookworm Dec 18th, 2011 04:45 AM

We have twice used AtHomeinLondon which is a wonderful agency that handles B&B's--"real" B&B's in private homes. Both times our price was within the lower end of your budget. Once we stayed in Belgravia, 5 minutes from Hyde Park Corner Tube stop/Harrod's/Hyde Park--it was an absolutely wonderful location. (Breakfast sparing, room spacious--really two rooms and bath.) The other time we were in the Bayswater area, but I don't think that room is on their list any more. I believe most of this agency's bookings are a bit further away than you will want to be, but it might be worth a look--unless you just want the hotel experience/ambience.

This past June I took students on a "package" educational tour and because of some problem (not the tour-company's fault) at the last minute, we ended up at a Premier Inn in Enfield, the northernmost London borough. The hotel was just fine--clean, roomy, nice staff, fine breakfast. So I could recommend the chain based on my experience; however, I do not recommend the LOCATION! We spent much time commuting a couple days!

You are probably beginning to get this idea--but London is huge and the sites you will most likely be wanting to see very spread apart. Don't even think you can be near them "all." After you secure a room, then make a list of things you'd like to do, get yourself a good London map (there are many--just get one at a local book store--or use something on-line), and group/plan your days by arranging days by the area/neighborhood they are in.

Two websites to check out--Transport for London---TFL. This can show you approximate travel time by Tube, as well as show you planned (and real-time unplanned) delays on the Tube. Also walkit.com is a fun mapping site that will show you a very good estimate of walking time/routes between sites.

And remember that if you are having to pay a bit more for a more "central" accomodation, your transport costs will be less than if you are further out, and you'll have less time traveling. On the other hand, if you find something a bit further out from central London for a good price, just include your travel time in your plans. (OVER estimate travel times and you won' set yourself up for frantic-ness or disappointments.)

nini Dec 18th, 2011 09:26 AM

Agree with others that South Kensington is a great area. We used to stay at the Rembrandt until we decided PL is the way to go. The Rembrandt is walking distance to Harrod's and across the street from the V&A Museum and two blocks from the SK tube station. Not sure if this hotel is in your budget but you may want to check it out.

latedaytraveler Dec 18th, 2011 02:56 PM

Greasefire11, I have recommended this hotel many times - STRAND PALACE which is only a few minutes from Trafalgar Square, not far from St. Paul's, in the theater district, and a 1/2 mile walk to Parliament, Westminster Bridge, and London Eye.(Let's not forget Buckingham Palace too.)

I thought it was reasonable - about $200 for a single in July. But there are so many options. Good luck!

BigRuss Jan 28th, 2013 07:42 AM

Greasyflames: the fact is that there is NO single spot in London that is central because London is about 7 times the size of Dublin and twice the size of the next largest city in Western Europe (Berlin). You are going to a city that is basically the Western European version of New York without the same concentration of major sites in a Manhattan equivalent. You cannot be thisclose to everything.

South Kens is good because if you're near the South Kens or Gloucester Road stations on the Tube, you'll have easy access to Westminster/Trafalgar and the Tower on the District/Circle line and to Buckingham Palace (Green Park station), Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Sq, Covent Garden, and the British Library/British Museum (Russell Sq/Kings' X stations) on the Piccadilly line.

Bloomsbury is also good because it tends to be quiet and inexpensive and is near the Piccadilly, Central, Northern and Circle lines, which will take you wherever you want to go. You'll need to learn the Tube generally, and this map will show where it's easier to walk than take the Tube from one place to the other: http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/i...s_final_lm.gif

janisj Jan 28th, 2013 07:50 AM

BigRuss: The thread is from <B>2011</B>.

Was topped by an advertiser.