Search

London stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London stay

We want to cover the Kensington/Chelsea/Westminster end of London when there for two days. Any recommendations on where to stay that's quiet and reasonably priced??

Signed,
Going crazy booking hotels
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Base2Stay- Kensington is a nice place or you can try Premier Inn, Kensington/Earls Court. Both are nice and close to the Earls Court tube station. They are also a walkable distance to Chelsea and Westminster.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 07:32 AM

Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt has been a good choice for us over the years. 2 minute walk to Gloucester Road tube stop.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:15 AM

For early September 2013 I tried Hotwire and got the Park International Hotel, very near the Gloucester Road metro station and for a good price $133.00 per night with breakfast incl. I think the location is considered Kensington-Earls Court area. This was one of the rare guaranteed to like properties and could have been cancelled if I had wanted to. I did not cancel. I love to hang out around the Westminster area along the Thames
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:39 AM

We stayed at The Sanctuary House last Sept. and really liked it. Room was decent sized, was super-clean! I think it was around $200 per night - I had to look hard to hit that price point in London!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Several good suggestions above, but "<i> . . .and reasonably priced?? </i>"

What do you consider reasonable? What is your budget?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:07 AM

I've stayed at the Park International, too, and liked it. It's two or three blocks from the Gloucester Road tube stop, which has three tube lines and a Waitrose grocery and an ASK Pizza restaurant (that is more than just pizza) in the shopping area just above it. My favorite hotel in the South Kensington area is the Millennium Bailey's right beside the GR tube stop.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Our experience at Park International was really awful - although we got it as part of a tour (free - the only reason we took the tour).

First, I don;t like the location - we prefer to be more central butyo uhave said you want ths area - fo that's OK.

Second, it took HOURS to get into out room. Our lfight from NY was late so by the time the tour foo-foo was organized and we got to the hotel is was almost 2 pm. And the rooms were NOT ready. When we saw the tour guide was useless we out the full court press on the front desk and got into a room by 3:30. Other tour members were still waiting when we went out for a walk and dinner at 5 pm.

Their service overall was really bad. Two days we returned to the room to shower and change for dinner (after 5 pm) and the room had not yet been cleaned. When we called housekeeping they had left for the day.

Also, they served breakfast at random (breakfast room was not big enough for the hotel so they encouraged people to have room service.) They delivered it any time they wanted - included one morning at about 6:30 - when we had asked for 8:30 - and it was breakfast for 6 rather than 2. We tried to explain to the maid/waitress - but she had essentially no English and we couldn't communicate at all. She simply wouldn't leave - we had to call the front desk and have then send someone down to take her away. And, of course, there was no breakfast at 8:30.

IMHO not worth it for free - never mind if you have to pay anything.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

thank you so far!

Our price range cannot go over $150 a night for two nights.
We are not fancy and need a 5 star luxury hotel. Just something that will be quiet at night and close to that area of London.

Thank you, thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:39 AM

I always stay at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. It might be slightly over your price range but it is right near the Gloucester Rd. tube stop - very convenient for getting around the area.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 04:40 AM

Check out Premier Inns - Southbank and Blackfriar locations are very good. http://www.premierinn.com/
These rooms are basic, but clean.

Just watch the location of some of the other Premier Inns in London as they may be quite far out.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Have you looked at the Amsterdam Hotel - it seems to me that was in the $150 a night range. We did not stay there but if gets good reviews. London is very pricey!
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Try Londontown.com for good rates I don't consider Earls Court Chelsea Knightsbridge. We alwas stay at Millenium Gloucester and I have seen good rates on theat and Milleniun Baileys on Londontown. There are loads of hotels in that area close to good transport and lots of services and walkable to several museums
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
$150 is approx £95 . . . Most of the Premier Inns will be under that - but it partly depends on your exact dates. All of the Travelodges would fit (but even they have some dates where rates spike).

http://www.bb-belgravia.com/index.php Is terrific and in a great location, and some of their rooms meet your budget or are just a little bit more. (some are £89-£99) But they also are date sensitive so you need to plug in your specific dates