Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-london-350766/)

charrosrider Apr 27th, 2008 10:00 AM

Where to stay in London

My family of 4 (all adults) will be spending 3 nights in London early Sept, then hopefully taking a sleeper to Glasgow. Know of any clean, inexpensive b&b's, hotels, on either end? Would near piccadilly in London be central to "tourism"? Help please!! CJ

charrosrider Apr 27th, 2008 10:01 AM

oops, forgot....MUST have private bath.

janisj Apr 27th, 2008 10:17 AM

What is your budget? We need to know how much you want to spend before we can offer useful suggestions.

Quad rooms are not that common - there are some but more than likely you will need 2 rooms.

Piccadilly Circus and Piccadilly (the street) are very central - but there are MANY other areas in central London that are just as accessible to all the sites.

Also - you can do a search on here because there are lots and lots of threads about hotels in London

but - budget?? . . . .

tod Apr 27th, 2008 11:21 AM

charrosrider - I stand corrected but in my experience "inexpensive" in London means "orrible" !!
Beautiful brochures showing the hotel ( 20 years back) mean zilch.
You don't even stay in the same building pictured! Annexes prevail with rabbit warren-like passageways and teeny cupboard bedrooms.
Go chain. Find a chain hotel that has standards and a manager to complain to if need be.

janisj Apr 27th, 2008 11:33 AM

uh - tod -- what the heck are you talking about? Your post does not make sense.

By <i>ANY</i> chance are you talking about the Regent Palace Hotel?? If so -- it closed more than a year ago . . . . .

Ceidleh Apr 27th, 2008 12:21 PM

London School of Economics (LSE) has properties all over the city, but Northumberland House is one of their newest if you are willing to rent 2 double rooms for the 4 of you. Great location (1/2 block to Trafalgar Square) for walking to many of the major sights. All rooms have private bath (shower, toilet, sink).

LSE has other locations that may be able to accommodate 4 in one room - check their website to see photographs, read room descriptions and book online.

janisj Apr 27th, 2008 12:31 PM

tod: OK - I just re-read your post the third time and get it. I guess you are just warning the OP against a B&amp;B or cheap hotel.

Some of what you say is true about SOME B&amp;B/hotels. But you can't make wide generalizations like that since there are many decent budget properties in London. Once we know the OPs budget we can give better advice.

charrosrider Apr 27th, 2008 02:30 PM

Thanks so far. We'd like to keep it under $200 per person per night. The more under the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charrosrider Apr 27th, 2008 02:55 PM

Took a look at lse Northumberland House. Do you not have to be a student? Perhaps I looked at the wrong site.

yk Apr 27th, 2008 03:00 PM

&lt; We'd like to keep it under $200 per person per night. &gt;

&lt; Took a look at lse Northumberland House. Do you not have to be a student? Perhaps I looked at the wrong site. &gt;

Okay - $200pp/night = $400/night per room! That's a decent budget for hotels. There's no need to look at LSE dorms if you're willing to pay that price!

The LSE dorms are for rent during summer holidays. And no, you don't need to be a student to stay there.

janisj Apr 27th, 2008 03:00 PM

$200 pp is definitely not inexpensive. That is over &pound;100 per person - which is not B&amp;B/inexpensive hotel territory. I know you said under $200 - but even thinking in those terms means you are outside the usual budget traveler group.

here is the site for LSE accommodations - no, you do not need to be a student. www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/

janisj Apr 27th, 2008 03:05 PM

yk - same info - same time :)