Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-london-257683/)

Len Sep 13th, 2002 10:45 AM

Where to stay in London

I am planning to take my Father to England in the Spring, and I really want to stay in a nice hotel (4 star)right in the center of all the great London sights. It is our first time in England so convenience to all the sights is what I really want. I also want a hotel that gives us the feeling of being in England, not some chain. Any recommendations would be great. Also is 4 days and 3 nights enough in London if we want to explore the rest of the country?

Wayne Sep 13th, 2002 10:53 AM

Len--A really nice small hotel with great service, and in a great location, is the Covent Garden Hotel. They have a web site and e-mail which I think you can easily find using your browser. It is expensive, but it is the best place I've ever stayed. Of course, I enjoy the more intimate spots rather than the big luxury hotels.<BR><BR>Another small hotel, with the same kind of character and a good location, is called 22 Jermyn Street. I have also enjoyed staying there, and it is the same kind of place as the Covent Garden, with a true English atmosphere and a homey feeling.<BR><BR>I think you and your father would really enjoy either of these immensely. They are both considered to be four star or maybe better.

Nigel Doran Sep 13th, 2002 10:55 AM

I would search out places like opodo.co.uk or other such sites. <BR><BR>Also, spend as much time as you can in London. There is a lot to see and do. You could then do day trips ex London to places like Oxford, Bath, Canterbury, Cambridge etc. Don't make the mistake of dashing around. Read up a lot before you come and arrange the days so that you can do what you want to do. I M H O, 4 nights and 3 days is not enough if it is your first time here. <BR>B T W, not one hotel is in the 'centre'. There is no 'centre' as such, but public transport will help you get to all the sites. Do a search of London hotels on this site for lots and lots of postings.

Lori Sep 13th, 2002 01:33 PM

As a frequent visitor to London there is no hotel that is going to be totally convenient to all sights. <BR><BR>Not knowing the age of your father it's hard to say what is best, but I'd stay in London and take day trips out of town. It's so simple you can't go wrong. <BR>We always rent an apartment so I can't give much advice about hotels, but day trips are your best bet. You can go to Bath, Canterbury, Cambridge, Oxford, Salisbury, or even Warwick Castle and still see plenty of countryside too if that's your goal. We've even been to York on a day trip - 240 miles, 2 hrs on the train.

Virginia Sep 13th, 2002 04:54 PM

Brown's on Albermarle Street right off Picadilly has always been one of my favorite "British" hotels; great service, enough wear to give it character, and excellent food. Even if you decide to stay elsewhere, make a reservation and take your father there for tea. It is a wonderful experience.<BR><BR>V.

samaritan Sep 16th, 2002 03:41 PM

Great deals on all kinds of lodging in the centre of town.<BR><BR>try:<BR><BR>www.londonrooms.biz