Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visa for Russia. How do I go about getting one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help me begin the application process? I have no idea even where to begin.

I have researched this site but can find only mentions of the visa itself, not how to actually obtain one.

TIA....greatly!
sal
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM

Suggestion: next time Google.

http://www.visatorussia.com
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but this is a site that would host me for a fee. If I have to do that, I will. BUT...

I do not mean to sound ugly, but every single one of us could Google evry single question we have. I thought this board was for learning from folks who have actually been thru something and can offer helpful advice.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Hi Sally,

I havn't been to Russia but will be going to St Petersburg yhis summer.

Whwn you book your accommodation or tour you will be issued with 'An Invitation' You send this along with your application to your local Eussian embassy along with your passport and they will issuee your Visa.

My understanding is that you need to supply your date of birth, passport number to your hotel or tour group before they can issue the invitation. You also need at least 6 months left on your passport after you leave Russia and in some instances proof of insurance.

As I have said I have not as yet been but this is my understanding of the process. BTW I live in the UK countries outside of the EU might be different.

Hope this helps

Helen
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Hi sallyjane3 ! Hope you are well & I'm glad to see you are still getting about ! Have you tried your nearest Russian embassy or consulate ? That would be my first stop. (The only time I went, it was a package & all organised for me - it was also over 20 years ago !) All the best, Caroline
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Sorry about the typos hope you understand
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for getting me headed in the right direction.It already feels a little less daunting. I appreciate you.

I'm great, caroline. Hope you are, too! I have told many people about the really sweet woman whom I met in that great city as yours.

And, cambe, I'm the typo queen so I have to admit I didn't even notice yours!

sal
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:30 AM

The visa process has been written about many times on this forum plus the Russian embassy has a website:

http://www.russianembassy.org/

In addition to what has already been said, the hotel might request a credit card number before they issue the invitation, in case they do all the paperwork then you cancel your hotel. They only charge if you cancel the hotel however, but check as hotels don't all have the same policy. Not all hotels can issue invitations, in which case sites like www.visatorussia.com can issue them.

When you get to Russia, make sure you register your stay (hotel usually does this for you,assuming you are staying in a hotel)

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Aww, you are too kind ! I am well too, thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best place for info on getting set to visit Russia is Lonely Planet's Thorntree - read the Russia sticky (aargh, the sticky is no longer pinned at the top of the thread - see this: tinyurl.com/2oyyfo). In addition to getting the visa, which requires an invitation and (officially) reservations for every night of your stay, you MUST register the visa when you arrive in Russia. If you're staying in a hotel, the hotel should take care of it, but before you decide on a source for your invitation, make absolutely sure how the registration will be handled, and whether it will cost extra.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:17 AM

sallyjane-- I am not sure how can anybody miss the dozens of posts detailing personal experiences on this process. WOW...! I have posted myself countless times on where/how/when/who to contact to obtain a visa for travel to Russia. The GOOGLE suggestion will, if anything, tell you where to begin, which is per your statement what you were looking for.

At this point you need to narrow down a time frame and where would you be staying; this is critical info that needs to be in the Visa application.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:14 AM

It's really quite a straighforward process when you have your sponsor (a tour or your hotel is the simplest). They send you an "invitation" by fax or email. You download the application from the russianembassy.org website. They have clear instructions. For my father and brothers, following the instructions, they had their visas in hand about a week after sending them out, without paying for the expedited service. Unless you have some more complicated circumstances, it shouldn't be necessary to pay for a middleman. Make sure to fill in the application accurately - they do ask for alot of info. This is from the US and hope it helps