Where to stay in Italy

Search

Where to stay in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Italy

Two of us are visiting Italy for 10 days in September. We will be staying in Rome (3 nights), Venice (1 night), and Tuscany for 6 nights. We prefer to stay in small family-owned hotels or pensions.

Any recommendations?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM

We need more information; where in Tuscany? What price range?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Refer to the Italian Agriturismo.com site for wonderful resources. Even if you don't speak Italian you will be fine staying on the farms or b and b's. Keep your little phrase book handy and enjoy the warm hospitality of the locals.
When planning a trip for Serendipity
Traveler last year i had totally delightful experiences on some farms
and small hotels.

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:13 AM
MaureenB

In Venice, we liked the Hotel Riva*. Here are my notes about it:

"We checked in and were happy to have a first floor room, since there’s no elevator. Our room was in the corner, looking over the intersection of two small canals. We were very pleased with this room assignment, since we had requested such a position, but were thinking we’d only have it for the second two nights, not all three nights. So we were prepared to move after our first night, but we were fortunate it turned out to be unnecessary to change rooms.

Hotel Riva is a small one-star hotel, very quaint and charming. Its lobby is welcoming, and its breakfast room is appealing, with both rooms having windows looking directly out on a little canal where gondoliers glide by every few minutes. It couldn’t be a better location. The hotel is sparkling clean, with marble floors, wooden walls, and glass sconces. The bedspreads could be replaced, as they are a bit worn, but that’s a very minor thing to notice, given the wonderful canal views from the hotel and its overall charm.

Our room had an amazing view of the two canals, and the bridges that cross them. Singing gondoliers would use one of the canals, especially. So, from our room, we could hear them go by, singing “Ave Maria” and other Italian favorites. I would sit on my bed, open both corner windows, and watch the activities on two different canals and bridges. Despite the nearness of the canals and the people walking over the bridges and down the little street, the noise was not bothersome to us. The double windows and shutters close tightly, and the canal and foot traffic seemed to be minimal at night.

I highly recommend the Hotel Riva. Its location and price are unbeatable. We paid for a double room, which was just 130 EUR, including an extra 10 EUR for the canal view. We actually had a triple room, with one large bed comprised of two twins pushed together, plus another twin bed in a little alcove. Breakfast is included, which is simply a hard roll and jam, but also with very nice cappuccino. It was a perfect hotel for us."

Another little hotel in Venice my daughter liked is the Casa Rezzonico.
>-

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Maybe take one day off Tuscany and give it to Venice. You're not doing the latter justice.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I thought the same. Definitely need more than 1 day in Venice.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
only 1 day in Venice?

www.lacalcina.com is lovely there
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Agree with the above comments - at least two nights in Venice to really fall under the city's unique spell.

Here are two places I have stayed in Venice on the last visits:

www.casamartini.it

I LOVED this intimate and charming place, in a more locals-oriented neighborhood. It is decorated in the traditional Venetian style, but not at all stuffy. Breakfast (if weather is good) is on the little back balcony overlooking the chimneys and rooftops of the neighborhood.

The young and charming Venetian owners are very helpful.

Ca' Turelli B&B, accessed through the www.veniceby.com website, is in the quiet and convenient Dorsoduro neighborhood. Small and clean, nice bath and owner, but not as special as Casa Martini. (But cheaper).

re: Tuscany. If the agriturismi on the site given above require a week stay (they often do) and you want less time, check out this lovely agriturismo B&B just outside Greve in Chianti:

Podere Torre

A wonderful old renovated farm with a vineyard (chianti classico, of course!), roses, a couple of friendly dogs and a wonderful hostess.

You can access it on the www.greve-in-chianti.com webiste. Look under vacation rentals and scroll down to the section about agriturismi, B&Bs and so on.