I am planning a trip with my boys, 5 and 7, and my mom to Germany next summer. This is my 12th trip, my boys 2nd, and my moms 4th. Two summers ago, we drove all over the country for a month and saw so much.
I am thinking this trip, we will pick two places to base ourselves out of for about 10 days to two weeks at a time. While I may still rent a car (and a bike rack and purchase used bikes for the boys and I), I am toying with the idea of just flying in and using the train to get to our two destinations.
We have good friends in the Freiburg area, the Chiemgau area, and Dresden. While the boys and I are adventurous and active, my mom does like to have lazy days. So I am looking for towns to stay in that are large enough for her to be able to spend the day walking around and small enough that she could do most of it on foot. We will probably rent something central and/or with a bus stop so close that she can't get lost.
We are open to other parts of Germany.....I feel like I know most of the areas, but would love suggestions, as I am probably missing something. I'd love to stay on the Chiemsee, but feel like the towns right on the lake are too small for our needs......but maybe there's one nearby that would work. I also feel like Freiburg is a bit too big, but maybe if we are actually near the Fussgaengerzone, it would work........I love the Harz and know Wernigerode well, maybe a town near there? I want to avoid places that are so overrun with tourists that our 2 weeks there would just be chaotic.
Any help would be appreciated. I just need to get rolling on the plans....my mom likes to know wherre we are going well in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TOSHIBA PRINTER 1800:681:7208 CONTACT TOSHIBA Techh care
- 2 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 3 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 4 Paris Apartment
- 5 GTG Paris December 2017
- 6 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 7 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 8 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 9 Visit to France
- 10 Barcelona to Malaga
- 11 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 12 Trains - website?
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Which Area in London?
- 15 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 16 First time in Spain
- 17 Best Restaurant Birmingham
- 18 family trip to Germany and more
- 19 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 20 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 21 Packing Champagne
- 22 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 23 Milan airport--which one
- 24 two days in Nice
- 25 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany