Where to stay in Copenhagen?

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 04:48 AM
K Noel

Where to stay in Copenhagen?

We plan to visit Denmark in June and have our itenerary pretty much set except for accomodations for 3-4 days in Copenhagen. We'd like to stay somewhere in town so that we can walk to restaurants, museums, etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 05:19 PM
K Noel

I'm going to respond to my own post by being more specific! We are now considering 2 places: Admiral Hotel and the Citilet apartments. Both appear to be nice. Has anyone stayed at either, or have you heard anything about the facilities and/or desirability of the location? Thanks so much for your help!

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 07:34 AM
Dennis Holland

I stayed at the Admiral a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Try to get a room out back for view of harbor and ships. The only annoying thing is they charge extra for their breakfast buffet. It is located in a nice area, close to Nyhavn, palace and Little Mermaid.
I was in Copenhagen in March and stayed at the Hotel Absalon, my budget was limited. Room cost about $100. weeknight with buffet breakfast and all taxes and service charges. I would recommend the hotel with the following advice. Request a room facing out back and not near the Absalon Annex which is connected to the hotel and is cheaper and hosts rowdy groups of drunken young people. The room had a small fridge, color cable TV with CNN, telephone and private bathroom. It was clean and served my purpose well. There are laundry facilities in the basement. This hotel as well as a number of others are located a block or two west of the train station. There are some sex shops and strip bars nearby but no threat to the hotels. The train station has a 24hr. grocery store and good buffet restaurant. Also good is the restaurant on the top floor of the department store Magasin on Kongens Nytorv (Square).
Check opening hours of museums and attractions carefully, the Carlsberg museum near the city hall had very limited hours off-season.
Taxes are very high in Scandinavia. In some countries tax and tip runs close to 30%! Alcohol is also very expensive which is why the duty free ships and ferries do such a booming business especially on weekends. I believe duty free is expiring shortly because of the European Union, although not at airports for flights outside the EU.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:20 PM
Boots

This may be too late since you posted in February, but I think you would be pleased with the Danmark Hotel on Vestervoldgade. It is about 1/2 block from the City Hall which I consider the center of the city. It is one block from the Ny Carlsberg Glyptothek (art) and one block from the National Museum. It is about 2-3 blocks from Tivoli, a great place for evening entertainment. I have stayed at the Danmark on five or six occasions and will be back next month. I think you can get a double for less than $150 which includes taxes and a good breakfast. Their e-mail address is [email protected]. If you want further info, e-mail me. I'm sure you will like the city.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:12 PM
Joanna

The Palace Hotel is located in the Town Hall square a few metres from the start of Stroget. You can walk to most of the museums from here, as well as Tivoli and the airport bus route is quite convenient (about 2 blocks away). The best (quietest) rooms are at the back of the hotel. Breakfast was included in our package - their sausages were the best I've ever tasted!

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:09 PM
K Noel

Thanks for the info--we made reservations at the Kong Arthur Hotel due to the location and the facility looked interesting! Any opinions? Thanks