Where to stay in Chianti?

Oct 19th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Paul

Where to stay in Chianti?

OK. My wife and I are heading to Italy for two weeks at the beginning of November. We had the first four days in Rome booked, and the last four days in Umbria booked, when September 11th happened. We stopped planning then, but now that we've decided to go ahead with our trip we need to find a place for those four days. We'd like to stay in Chianti and are looking for recommendations for 1. what part of Chianti, and 2. what place to stay. We like the agritourism-type places usually, but we're open to any ideas. And if, while making suggestions, you have any other ideas about where to eat, what to see etc., they are most welcome.

Thanks!

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:13 PM
steve

WE recently stayed at Hotel Ultimo Mulino between Radda and Gaoile and were pleased with the accommodations. The building is a renovated old mill situated beside a stream and provided a fairly solid suppper with a good wine selection. It seems to be a little more popular with the bike tour type of tourists. Wine tasting nearby at Castello do Mulleto and Brolio. Very quiet at night with great stargazing. In November, I doubt you will want to use the pool. The location is a little far from the rest of Tuscany, but close to Radda. Of the cities we visited, we fell in love with Greve and almost wish we would have stayed there. I recall another nice 4 star hotel in Radda itself, but cannot recall the name.

Oct 20th, 2001, 02:21 AM
Helen Donegan

Glad to hear you are coming over Paul - where are you staying in Umbria? I live outside Perugia if I can give you any info or be of any help.
Have a great holiday.

Oct 20th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Helen Donegan

Ah - I have just realised you were orginally going to the Villa Panbuffetti - you should have a great time, someone told me last week the wine they tasted there was some of the best they had ever had!

Oct 20th, 2001, 03:06 PM
paul

Topping once for more input.

Thanks Helen and Steve

Oct 20th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Louise

We stayed at the Villa Vinamaggio during early October two years ago and thought it was very beautiful and relaxing. It's situated outside Greve, off route 222...in the hills amid vineyards...and produces wine on the premises which was very fragrant at the time. We rented the cottage...one that is attached to the main building, with two bedrooms upstairs, modern bath, and small sitting area with beautiful view over the countryside through quaint shuttered windows. Ground floor had "french kitchen" in comfortable room with fireplace. Villa Vinamaggio was the location for filming of "Much Ado About Nothing.

Oct 21st, 2001, 11:59 AM
Paula

Last October we stayed at Locanda Le Piazze in Castellina in Chianti and thouroughly enjoyed it. It is in the middle of a vineyard, has wonderful views, and an excellent restaurant. It is a farmhouse that has been modernized and has about 20 rooms -- some with their own private patios. It is located between Castellina and Poggibonsi. You can view it on Karen Brown's website.
email [email protected]

Oct 21st, 2001, 03:22 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Paul, Just my opinion, but the region south of Siena in the Val d'Orcia is a better destination than Chianti. It is more scenic and more authentic but still offers the best of the vino culture with Montalcino and Montepulciano. Chianti has gotten too touristy for my taste.

Oct 21st, 2001, 03:29 PM
paul

Thanks for the help all. Bob: we were in Montalcino two years ago (found it beautiful); we'd be open to that area as well. Any suggestions for places to stay, not too expensive ($120 tops)?

Oct 21st, 2001, 04:32 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Paul, Do a search and find the Hotel Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni. It is a tiny spa town and the thermal baths at the hotel are a nice feature. We stayed there in April--good location.