Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Where to stay in Bern? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-to-stay-in-bern-82825/)

Beth Aug 14th, 2000 07:33 AM

Where to stay in Bern?

Any suggestions about the best places to stay in Bern, Switzerland. Anyone stayed at a place called the Hotel Jardin?

richard j vicek Aug 14th, 2000 12:57 PM

Good afternoon, Beth <BR>Have not stayed at the Hotel Jardin in Bern,however did stay at the HOTEL METROPOLE, Zeughausegasse, 26/28 which <BR>is a three star garni hotel with 58 rooms, just located afew blocks from' <BR>the bahnhof. Was very satisified with <BR>their service and accomodations. One <BR>ristorante not to miss is about one or <BR>two blocks south, the Rist. Kornhauskeller, at Kornhausplatz, 18, <BR>very typical bernese food in old vault. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>

SharonM Aug 14th, 2000 02:10 PM

The Hotel Schweizerhof in Bern was fabulous!!! (though a bit expensive...)

Christina Aug 26th, 2000 02:58 AM

Hi Beth <BR> <BR>(don't worry about my e-mail adress. I grew up in Bern but staying now since a while in Florence, Italy). Here we go: <BR> <BR>I don't know Hotel Jardin, never heard. Hotel Metropole doesn't exist anymore in the old way. The whole building was selled because the owners retierd (? hope the explanation is ok). Hotel Schweizerhof was a 5* Hotel but they have to leave 1* because the standard isn't high enough (and they are superclose to the railwaystation and directly on the most important road through Bern). I can recommend you a Hotel what is actually very new, but a lot of my clients where there (even businesspartners of me and they were all sattisfied) it called Hotel Allegro and is crossover the Kornhausbrücke. You have a beautyful vew over the Aare and the old Part of Bern and it's closest to everything. You can choose from 3 different rooms (oh let me look if they do have a website, just one moment!) here it is: www.allegro-hotel.ch and then there's the website for the town of Bern (tourst part) www.berne.ch <BR> <BR>A nice place to eat Bernese food is "Le Moléson" in the Aarbergergasse. The Kornhauskeller is renewed and I never was there since then. <BR> <BR>Beth, if you have other questions or need something else, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Even stuff where to shop, how long shops are open, safety and so on. <BR> <BR>Häbs guet! <BR> <BR>Christina

Christina Aug 26th, 2000 03:53 AM

Beth <BR> <BR>You will find Hotel Metropole (the new one) on the website/accomodation on www-berne.ch then I noticed that Schweizerhof is still handeld with 5* but Bernese people and the news from Berne say that they really have to give 1* away. <BR> <BR>Even Hotel Jardin (but this Hotel isn't in the Center, you can't do it by feet from there and the area isn't one of the safest of Bern). <BR> <BR>That's all! <BR> <BR>Christina