Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Ascona or Locarno or Cannobio

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I am not finding the kind of hotel/inn that I would like in Ascona or Locarno area. I do not want a place right in the city center but on the edge of town or in the hills nearby. We will have a car so would also like to have parking at the hotel. Really would like small inn in the 150-200 sFr range. Any suggestions?

I did find a nice looking hotel in Cannobio, Italy which doesn't look too far away. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Cannobio? It is on the water front but Cannobio is a smaller town.

Thanks, Margo
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM

Check out Albergo Navegna (www.navegna.ch) in Locarno. It's on the edge of town, with a walking path along the lake to the city center and a parking lot. Right on the lake, small, cozy and a GREAT restaurant.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM

This is also a nice hotel at the end of town, up on the hill with a great view. You can walk into town along the path, past Catbert's hotel, same vicinity:
Hotel Remorino
http://www.remorino.ch/
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM

Ciao Suzanna! I like that one and am bookmarking it for future reference. One thing I bet Suzanna's has over mine is it might be farther away from the train.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Catbert and Susanna, two great choices. I am looking for something smaller and a bit less "big hotel" and also not more than 200 sFr. I guess the chalet style inn or hotel is not found in the lakes area, eh?

Looking through the Swiss Hotel Guide, I see a picture of a hotel called Arcadia--says it is 10 minutes from the lakeside promenade (in Ascona). Anyone know of this place?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:41 AM

We have stayed twice at Albergo Ristorante Antica Stellara in Cannobio. Its a small family run hotel only a few minutes walk to the waterfront. They have a nice garden area, free carpark and the food in the restaurant is very good. Although a 3 star its not luxurious but I think quaint describes it pretty well. The only website I could find was http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Piemont.../index.uk.html click on accommodation. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to Arcadia to check out hotel rates for a friend. It's a rustic hotel located a bit outside of the town but still within walking distance (20 min.). It's in a very peaceful surrounding. It's not a high class hotel but it sounds just like what you are looking for.

I really found the price/quality very good. It's located about 7 min. from the lake, very close to the super public beach they have in Ascona.

The menue looked very good too.

I haven't been to Hotel Cannobio but I walked through Cannobio last fall. It's a quiet town except on Sundays when they have the big market. It's very Italian. Cannobio can be quite windy but it's great to watch the windsurfers.

Which would I pick? Well, I love Ascona because of the town, beach and it's still in Switzerland. I personally think you can do more day trips from Ascona than Cannobio. So I'd pick Arcadia.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
JN

Here is an inn in your price range. It's a bit up the hill behind the train station. Parking is available. http://www.hotel-palmiera.ch/lage.htm

I have stayed at a nice place right across from the lake near the train station; charming owner and great price: http://www.rondinella.ch/inglese/hotel_ing.htm
We didn't have a car, so I don't know what the parking options are.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Ciao Catbert!;-)
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM

oops, hit the wrong key too early. Hotel Remorino looks like a big hotel from the pictures but it actually only has about 20 or so rooms. They were the nicest people who own it and work there. I had a birthday when I was there and they must have seen the date on my passport because I certainly didn't tell them. The morning breakfast table was all decorated in flowers and they had bought me a birthday cake, quite a nice touch and completely unexpected.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for suggestions. Susanna, I do like the looks of the Remorino but it is out of our price range.
Shuler--What do you mean by "it is not a high class hotel". Did you look at the rooms? Are the rooms located over the restaurant? I checked their website and was amused by their comment: For hot nights in Ticino, we have a minibar with cool drinks on the floor!
And I thought they were going to say that they had air-conditioning!!

That brings up another thought. Will it be warm at night? Most of the hotels, even 5 star, do not have AC. As an American, I am addicted to AC but will try to get by.

While you all are at it, please suggest a day trip to Bellinzona to hike around the castles. And how about visiting the Brissago Islands?

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:38 AM

I've been to the area when it was blistering hot. By evening it was cool enough with the windows open and there were no mosquitoes.

By the way, the Navegna is a small, family run hotel. It's right on the lake and in your price range.

Absolutely take the train to Bellinzona. It's only a 20 minute train ride from Locarno and trains leave frequently. It's easy when you get off to walk to the grounds of the first castle. (By the way, if you find the elevator, near the underground parking lot you don't have to walk up). From there, you can hike to the other castles. I believe you can even walk on the castle walls that connect them.

If you are inclined, also take the Centovalli train from Locarno to one of the small towns along the route and find a grotto for lunch. There's a recent thread about this. If you click on my name it should be in the last 10 posts or so. Intregna is an interesting town. At Verdasio you can take a gondola ride either up the mountain or across the gorge to Rasa, a small pedestrian village.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't look at the rooms but I think I saw a picture. Very basic. Some rooms might be above the restaurant but I'm not sure. I'd say it's a good two star hotel with a nice restaurant.

We did the three castles last year. We drove to the top one and spent about 1/2 hour there. Went to the next one and spent another 1/2 hour. The castle in the valley is the most spectacular.

Haven't done Centovalli but plan to next fall.

We visited the Brissago island last fall. Very nice. We brought our own lunch and had a nice picnic. They also have a restaurant.

Switzerland just isn't into a/c yet. We also pay a lot for electricity and that's a gadget that really eats it up. You'll find some a/c hotels, but they are expensive and far and between.

Hope for cool evenings and you'll be alright.

Our favorite day trip was going to a beautiful valley in the Maggivalle. It's called Bavona valley and it's dotted with tiny enchanting specks of villages that make you feel like your in a magical place.

We also liked going up to Bosco Gurin because of the drive and tiny villages.