Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay (ie. best hotel) near Camden? (Central London)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm visiting London for the first time with a friend and we plan to go a concert at the Jazz Cafe in Camden (London). We will be there for 3 nights (FRI-SUN) and are hoping for tips on where to stay...
-Do we have to be in Camden to get low Taxi/Cab fares when we go out at night and the tube is closed?
-What is the average Cab Fare/ Tube Fare from Camden to West London?
We're young professionals in our 30s with limited travel experience in Europe. Thank you.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When ther tube is closed - there are night buses. No need to take cabs unless you just want to.

I personally would not pick a place to stay based on the location of one concert. I'd stay in a neighborhood I liked instead.

And "west London" covers a LOT of territory. Where do you mean?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM

I'm not aware of hotels near Camden Town. There are a couple of places closer to Swiss Cottage but not really a walking distance either. Closest areas with hotels would be Euston/King's Cross, though this is a rather grim area.

I would recommend Bloomsbury or Soho because there are several night bus routes going that way. Probably your best bet is to take the tube (Northern Line) to get there. Tubes stop running between midnight and 00:30 during the week, sometime between 23:00-23:00 on Sundays.

After that, you can get either taxi or night bus. Minicabs are cheaper than the black taxi--but make sure you get reputable minicab companies names/numbers from the cafe and get the quotes in advance. Cab fares from Camden Town to Bloomsbury should be within GBP10 at night, to Soho probably GBP15 thereabout.
I would probably take a bus, esp if you're travelling with a friend.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I would bid for a hotel in the Bloomsbury/Marble Arch zone, using Priceline. See all the other posts about Priceline. There will certainly be a bus back from Camden to the hotel, and even just on foot, it is unlikely to be more than a mile or so walk.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM

I wouldn't stay in Camden, it's scruffy and full of goths.

It's on the tube, the Northern Line (Camden Town, Chalk Farm or the legendary Mornington Crescent) and is well served by buses into central london.